Forums

Help › Forums

Invasion of the "Multi 'counters"

Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:23 PM (68 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 9:04 AM

Richard4168:

Jim, where's the skill when shots deviate with almost five out of five dots of precision on the best clubs?

Even players using meter tape aren't very skilled and rely on luck.

ROFLLMFAO!!!  The ultimate "I have to be right."  He edits the post to add this!!  OMG.  

That's sad.  :-(

On the topic at hand, what would be the ramifications of allowing as many accounts as you want? It sort of is there already but what would happen if it wasn't taboo?

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 10:10 AM

about skill and luck:

This is supposed to be a skill based game! not entirely true! ... Example: when you put your skills agaisnt other player skills... it will depend on how lucky you are with the wind you get. True, we can both be good; but If I have 6 holes with head wind and the other guy have the same six tail wind... I can still ding every shot and he miss a little every shot and still I will lose why? because he had better luck in the wind set up.

more simpler: I can be better player and an oustanding putter, but I cant prove that skill against a player in a tournament that have perfect wind to reach a par 5 in 2 and I, in the same tournament having bad head wind. I will probably birdie because "I'm a good player" but I'm facing an eagle chance vs a very difficult birdie chance. 

So my guess is 50% skill 50%luck... I can also have good deviation all the time and be really bad at this game... and of course I will score bad :)

Regarding the OP.

there is a way to stop multi accounts. ban is not the solution, if you get banned you just create another one and another.... etc... as log as you can create new emails, you can create new acounts and IP adress can be faked too... 

but is not that easy to fake ID and credit cards. If WGT charge 1 dollar for every new account they will know who is the real owner of that acount. and if he/she try to open a new one the sistem will know that such cretid card is registered in another account.

This is a free game, you will say, but the one who suffer from this cheaters are the ones that invest money here, so for the people that give profit to WGT one single dollar is a fair price to pay to secure that we are not getting robbed from cheaters.

A different option, you can create your free acount but you can't play for money unles you pay for a one dollar membership to access to paid tournaments. This way Wgt can keep the site free and still protect those players who invest money and gives WGT profit by buying and playing ready to go's

.... but just my thinking!

Jvr.

Probably not my best English so sorry if you find it hard to understand lol

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 10:26 AM

YankeeJim:

ROFLLMFAO!!!  The ultimate "I have to be right."  He edits the post to add this!!  OMG.  

That's sad.  :-(

He only added the emphasis Jim.  The words were there originally.  Not that I pretend to understand the relevance and whatnots.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 10:46 AM

Not so sure abut that, A. I usually copy the entire post to make sure this doesn't happen as there's a history of doing it. No big deal over a non issue, I just have a personal problem getting aggravated over it. I should listen to you.  ;-)

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 10:59 AM

jvr86, Not too sure about your wind theory, as any game I've played to date shows same wind speed and direction for both players. Not sayin'  it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it. Very interesting take on how to prevent multi-accounting, may even be able to track existing multi accounts through pro shop transactions, This may actually be worth running past WGT as a viable way to stop the madness, Hmmmm...Anyone else?

Doc

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 4:54 PM

drmoose:
    jvr86, Not too sure about your wind theory, as any game I've played to date shows same wind speed and direction for both players

Doc, I believe that in all tournaments(R&G's, C.C's,) wind setup is random for all the players, for me Random is a sinonym of Luck lol.

I guess my words can be taken wrong like if Im referring to a match play, alternate or multyplayer. In  that case, yes the wind is the same and you play skill vs skill becaus both have same conditions :). maybe deviation can vary from player to player but cant talk about it beacuse I dont know.

Jvr

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Mon, Feb 27 2012 5:08 AM

Jvr, You are of course correct, it's been so long since I entered an unlimited play  tournament I forgot about wind variation ,and I don't play RG's. Back to playing "Follow the Money", I'm guessing a scenario something like this...

Dear WGT,

Six months ago on my achieving legend status, my wife, who had left me because I golf too much moved back home and started playing WGT once she discovered how much fun it was. At about this same time my son, who gave up crack for WGT because it was even more addictive moved back home also. So I now have three accounts under one roof tied to one credit card (Flag) .Well, turns out my wife and son are both naturals and in short order have all the top equipment and are winning all kinds of tournaments and RG's and just raking in the ol' credits (Flag) . There are some who have accused all three of me of being a multi-accounter because of these things tied together with my scoring history (Flag) However, I am confident in the fact that WGT will do absolutely nothing about this while I continue to grow my retirement fund, and, will continue to rub this in the noses of those foolish enough to object.

Sincerely,

Mull T. Akounter

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:04 PM

On the topic at hand, what would be the ramifications of allowing as many accounts as you want? It sort of is there already but what would happen if it wasn't taboo?

Very interesting idea Jim. Maybe a thread devoted to this Idea is in the making.I can see some  +'s and -'s and haven't thought about it at all yet.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:23 PM

The only reason I'd want to start over with a new account would be to get more accurate stats.  Mine, because I don't play ranked rounds that often, are still a reflection of how I was playing (not playing) in 2009.

I do recall there was discussion of resetting stats but nothing came of it.

RSS