Forums

Help › Forums

Cheating is possible at this game... yup!

Sun, Oct 6 2013 6:16 PM (48 replies)
  • QuikDrawlMcGraw
    4,337 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 1:52 PM

ive played a few of the better players....its skill.......if i could putt i would be in  the 60 range but i cant putt LOL oakmont is playable if u stay in fairaway that said  i cant stay in fairway LOL ive played lee once an he didnt  hit every shot perfect..... i have a  longest drive within 5  yards of his longest an i dont runa  macro....its  like any  other game some people are better then others...... im sure there is someone runnign a program...ive never played ANY onlien game where someone doesnt cheat....... but im 99.99 % sure avatar lee  isnt one of them he woudl win EVERY WEEK if he wa sLOL not just most  o k im just jealosu cause my state wont allow me to play Match challenges or ready gos anyhew  if you cheat sucks to be you  if u dont gl in the rounds  Im gonna make the 156 in st andrews if i have to go an get a special dispensation from teh queen!!

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 1:56 PM

QuikDrawlMcGraw:

ive played a few of the better players....its skill.......if i could putt i would be in  the 60 range but i cant putt LOL oakmont is playable if u stay in fairaway that said  i cant stay in fairway LOL ive played lee once an he didnt  hit every shot perfect..... i have a  longest drive within 5  yards of his longest an i dont runa  macro....its  like any  other game some people are better then others...... im sure there is someone runnign a program...ive never played ANY onlien game where someone doesnt cheat....... but im 99.99 % sure avatar lee  isnt one of them he woudl win EVERY WEEK if he wa sLOL not just most  o k im just jealosu cause my state wont allow me to play Match challenges or ready gos anyhew  if you cheat sucks to be you  if u dont gl in the rounds  Im gonna make the 156 in st andrews if i have to go an get a special dispensation from teh queen!!

Exactly.

Just about everyone who complains that people are cheating have never played any of the top players here.   I'd even say it's a safe bet that they haven't even played mid-level Master tier players either.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 2:21 PM

QuikDrawlMcGraw:
    Im gonna make the 156 in st andrews if i have to go an get a special dispensation from teh queen!!
    Wear some knickers...they help. Although I  stopped wearing mine ; kept getting fescue prickers on me bloody argyles.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 8:08 PM

Doublemochaman:

I can just hear Jim Nance uttering the names Avartar Lee and BolloxinBruges now.  "Over here we have DoubleMochaMan hitting out of the trees..."...

"And his playing partner AlaCowboy going for yet another 97.  Wow! A quintuple bogey? How did he get past security?"

• NoGlory
    2 Posts
    Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:05 PM

just finished a blitz game... 10 stokes, closesd to the hole...

this person hits TWO (2)! hole in ones!?

(pro player, unemployed)

impossible or not?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 20 2010 3:15 PM

No question, NG. The CTTH games can be played over and over again and you get real good at it.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Wed, Oct 20 2010 3:31 PM

NoGlory:

just finished a blitz game... 10 stokes, closesd to the hole...

this person hits TWO (2)! hole in ones!?

(pro player, unemployed)

impossible or not?

You can set a shot up perfectly, ding your aim click, etc., but you still have only about a 1/500 chance of holing a 100-200 -yard approach shot.  Nobody can consistently sink two shots in a CTTH round.  Hell, for that matter, nobody can consistently sink a single shot in a CTTH round. 

Holing out twice in a CTTH game = pure luck.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Oct 20 2010 4:39 PM

CRH,

It's funny looking back on this entire thread how its dynamic has changed. Early in the thread there are players stating how impossible it is to cheat on WGT, and anyone who has been watching now knows that this is untrue.

I'm not wanting to get into the technicals of preventing or detecting it, as noone knows what, if anything, wgt is using. I would saye that WGT could do itself and it's members a great service by publicly addressing this issue, and at a MINIMUM, stating that they are somehow using detection software and have successfully caught members using such cheats. It would put a lot of this to rest without having to give away any trade secrets. 

Just a WAG, but I am betting that their silence in this matter means that either do not use detection methods, or they have not yet proved effective. The ONLY instance of a player banned for cheating that has been displayed, was a player that erroneously posted a screen shot of a score card showing he was using such software..... In fact, the particular software he was using wasn't even a true cheat. But, if they couldn't detect that, it leaves me convinced that they can't detect anything more efficiently written.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Wed, Oct 20 2010 8:04 PM

VanHalenLover:

CRH,

It's funny looking back on this entire thread how its dynamic has changed. Early in the thread there are players stating how impossible it is to cheat on WGT, and anyone who has been watching now knows that this is untrue.

I'm not wanting to get into the technicals of preventing or detecting it, as noone knows what, if anything, wgt is using. I would saye that WGT could do itself and it's members a great service by publicly addressing this issue, and at a MINIMUM, stating that they are somehow using detection software and have successfully caught members using such cheats. It would put a lot of this to rest without having to give away any trade secrets. 

Just a WAG, but I am betting that their silence in this matter means that either do not use detection methods, or they have not yet proved effective. The ONLY instance of a player banned for cheating that has been displayed, was a player that erroneously posted a screen shot of a score card showing he was using such software..... In fact, the particular software he was using wasn't even a true cheat. But, if they couldn't detect that, it leaves me convinced that they can't detect anything more efficiently written.

It's probably possible to cheat, at least on some level.  The important question to ask is what exactly can be accomplished... is it some extremely minor advantage, or does it give a cheater a massive advantage?

At any rate, that question aside, there are almost certainly things that any cheater simply cannot avoid.  For example, I don't believe it's possible for anyone to remove the random deviations added onto a shot by WGT.  By "deviations," I'm talking here about how you can ding a shot, but it still flies off to the left or to the right by 5-12 yards.  I would hope that that is stored server-side.  If it is instead stored client-side (i.e. on the user's computer), then this can be hacked and WGT would be about 12 years behind on hack prevention, but I can't imagine that that is the case.

As far as WGT not mentioning anything goes, WGT has already explained that they don't tell the public what they can do as this might make potential cheaters look for ways to make those techniques ineffective.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Wed, Oct 20 2010 8:49 PM

As far as WGT mentioning anything: = Standard policy here! They could give a *** less.

RSS