Forums

Help › Forums

My game is going downhill............WTF?

Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:25 PM (45 replies)
  • Exyle717
    4 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:30 PM

Bob I've noticed the same problem, last week I was playing 9 holes and getting 3 -5 birdies a round and I was hitting almost every putt from 5 - 10 feet out , now all of a sudden I can't seem to get more than 1 birdie and getting 2 -3 bogeys per 9 holes, and I can't seem to hit a putt over 4 feet to save my life.

I know I'm not playing any different and I'm using the same clubs I was last week. But for some strange reason my game has went from playing rounds at -3 to +3

And what I also find weird is that when I am in a group with people using starter clubs all of a sudden I can barely out drive them if at all.

I don't understand it at all but losing around 6 strokes on the same courses with the same clubs and balls is kinda strange to me.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:39 PM

Nice. Make it look like I mock you. LOL

renniw52:
    YJ knows I am the worse TM in WGT.

You said it, not me.

renniw52:
    I am convinced he has a little stuffed squirrel doll and he sticks pins in it every few days.

Just for making me look bad I have a special pin saved up. LMK if you have trouble urinating.  :-D

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:52 PM

LMAO YJ. I am proud of my title, is it The Worst of the Best, or the Best of the Worst? I had a 3.8 GPA back in 1969, but I am definitely a C- on here.

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 3:07 PM

Hi "renniw52".......hey, thanks for the "pep talk" here...I needed it!!!  LOL.  Yeah, you've got a very good point about the number of "ranked rounds"....I realize I'm going to have to play hundreds more to improve my game.  I just need to learn to be more patient with myself....lower my expectations a bit.  I got off to a good (FUN) start the first 45 days...hit (9) hole-in-ones...though they were all CTTH, all but one on Wolf Creek....probably "beginners' luck"....ha!  Only have (1) Eagle.  Need to work on placing my approach shots closer to the pin...think I'm averaging around 29 feet (pretty bad...and it puts pressure on my putting)...which pretty much sucks. And you make a VERY good point about the friendships on here!  It's too easy to get caught up trying to birdie every dang hole.  I learned there are only 1,900 total "Legends" out of the more than 5 million WGT members.  One "Legend" I saw has played 3,400 ranked rounds...Wow. Thanks again. Contact me anytime you feel up for a round of golf...you'll have a VERY good chance of winning.....lol...and you can just NEVER have "too many friends". Bob 

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 3:14 PM
    THANKS "alosso". I appreciate the "tips". And it's not that I can't afford to buy credits......just prefer not to. I watch videos and do surveys...and have used those credits for a better driver & better balls. I'll eventually work my way up to even "better" quality equip.....I'm sure it will help. But, you're right...just need a TON more practice. I have only logged 210 ranked rounds...I'm still a "newbee". I do enjoy those CTTH challenges...and I think I'm going to play more rounds with other members.....more fun than practice time alone. And "yes"...now that I'm considered TP.....it's a little intimidating and "embarrassing" to post lousy scores. Probably best to do a lot of "practice rounds" until I get my confidence up.
  • DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 3:26 PM

Hey Bob. I'm not one of the best players by no means but i am one of those sub 60 legends that everyone seems to think are the top players so i think i know enough. The only way is to buy better equipment mate. The game is all about a good short game so invest in some new wedges, i recommend the taylor made satin wedges unlocked at level 39. Get the 50yd & the 77yd clubs. The 50yarder will take a couple of shots off your game and is in my opinion the best club available in the pro shop. I never leave home without it. Then you need a new putter. The daytona rossa is a very good putter and reasonably priced. The meter increments go down to 15ft instead of the 30ft of the starter putter. You'll find this much easier to control on the shorter putts. Even if you just went for the putter and the 50yd satin wedge, that's less than 10 bucks and i guarantee it'll improve your game by at least 3 strokes every 9 holes.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 3:51 PM

Now we are in the "material" section...

DAZZA501:
    The only way is to buy better equipment mate.

I couldn't disagree more - at least up ot TP, good exercise and good judgement is worth as much as the equipment available, not necessary to follow the armament hype unless you wanna go to the top. As a TP, my MP record is 12-4 against Masters. One of the rare defeats came from a guy with starter equipment except for a low-level driver. It _is_ possible, with time & talent.

I also took the low budget way - it just deemed not too rewarding for me to invest real money apart from the first 4 bucks to (maybe) bring me to Pebble (a sweepstake in December)

Finally, after becoming a Master, I could no longer imagine to enjoy the game without smart gear, but before, I contented with a 3WD and a wedge (575 cr combined) - I achieved my last tier-up (and the MP record) without a driver ;)

Custom balls are an improvement, certainly, but quite a lot is possible with the starter balls (and the starter putter).

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 7:58 PM

Hey "Exyle717"........Well, I keep getting "advice" from more experienced members, members who are "Masters" or "Legends"......and they are pretty much all in agreement, that in order to "progress....get those great lower scores...birdie those holes on a regular basis..............you HAVE to keep "upgrading" your clubs & balls.  I'm not really surprised by this "advice".  It just makes sense that this golfing site (as fantastic and fun as it is to play).....was "designed" to make money...........period. Anyone think differently is very, very naive.  WGT was created to be a "business".  So.....the problem you describe just doesn't surprise me. 

For me, I'm fine with "starter" equipment.  Oh, when I gather up enough "credits" by watching a few AD's or doing a few surveys...I pick up some "upgraded" balls...and I have slightly upgraded my "driver.  I don't know for sure what kind of money "most" members are spending who have achieved "Masters", "Tour Masters" or "Legend"......but, I did read a brief blog from one WGT "Legend" here just last week...he said he spent just over $20,000.00 (real money).....on his way to getting his "Legend" status.  I'm not naive enough to think I can get THERE without spending real $$$....or being able to compete with any of them in a "Tournament"..........so, I have to remain content to enjoy playing rounds, CTTH challenges, playing with WGT friends.....and enjoying getting to know people.  Still, I understand your thinking....it can be frustrating.  When I explained all of this to my girl friend....she said, well, you HAVE to know what's going on....right? And I told her......yes, I do NOW....*smile*

Hang in there and enjoy!

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 8:30 PM

BOBTX61:
    ...he said he spent just over $20,000.00 (real money).....on his way to getting his "Legend" status.

I think we need to lay this $20,000.00 fiction to rest.  More than likely it's 20,000 credits... or 200 bucks.

And tell your girlfriend she's right, you do know what's going on... that WGT is a fun game AND a business venture.  They need to make money for their investors... to continue to be solvent... viable.  No money, no game.  Wii and X-Box are not free either.  (To the credit of WGT they did design the game so you can play absolutely free and still derive pleasure)

From an article:  "Two gamers and sports fanatics, YuChiang Cheng and Chad Nelson, dreamt up WGT in 2006 over burritos in San Francisco. Since then, their startup has become a top-five golf site with more than 1 million unique visitors each month and 3 million registered users who have played over 100 million rounds of virtual golf. "

For some reason I've craving a burrito...

• Exyle717
    4 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 8:45 PM

Oh I know whats going on. I have spent around $120 just in the last month and was a Tour Pro with 66.75 and out of the blue I can't even finish a 9 hole round without being over par.

I hit Master today and  jumped up to an 80. not sure if it does that for everyone when they hit master or what.

Not that I really care about that, just can't believe I spent $120 in a month and the game is already forcing me to spend more if i wanna keep those lower scores.

Heh, I probably should have just saved the cash for the new 3 wood I need in RL LOL

RSS