Forums

Help › Forums

Very close to posting names.

Mon, Oct 15 2012 10:09 AM (74 replies)
  • alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 2:51 PM

Pizza , the problem I think , is when we see the RG winners lists / some wgt tourney winners / even a lot of players who are 'spotlighted' , it just seems so patently obvious (without need for a special investagative team) who is clearly not 'bona fide'..I think maybe that is when the accusations of apathy arise.

Obviously buisiness / financial constraints are across the board in most companys , and I don't think anyone can expect 100% multi free zone and good to know ppl do have accounts deleted.

Can't really see how you can appease us  when you don't make the displinary system public .(correctly imo)

So I guess it's a case of 'caveat emptor',.. and take you at your word that it remains a priority.

Thanks for feedback/ openness.....Andy

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:06 PM

alcaucin:
    So I guess it's a case of 'caveat emptor',.. and take you at your word that it remains a priority.

This is a very good description of my position on this subject. In most community-facing situations, we are able to gather feedback and produce some sort of TANGIBLE, IDENTIFIABLE evidence that your feedback has become an actuality.

With disciplinary actions, it's almost the exact opposite. This situation still allows WGT to receive feedback from our community, and we are able to produce results based from it, however when WGT does not make the action public, or respond to your disciplinary requests with: "Have no fear, Alcaucin, "PlayerX" has been banished from the website!", people miss out on the final step, the most rewarding step, which is proof of the fruits of their labor.

I've been working with gaming communities for many years now and this feeling, I have found, is universal, and I can sympathize. On the other hand, I see a great deal of value in discretion, not only for avoiding legal matters, but for the overall health of the community. I would be glad to talk at lengths on this subject (maybe in another thread) but for this conversation's purpose, let's just say that we are no where near considering changing this policy.

The summary is this: We are putting all available resources in to combating cheaters (general term, think baggers, multi accounters, etc) within WGT. We may be able to share with you some measures we are taking, for example the information that MisterWGT shared in his latest chat. That was the biggest breakthrough I have seen on this subject since I started working here, and I believe it will make a huge difference in our community, over time. Some of the measures we take, for example individual disciplinary actions, is simply something we will not be able to share.

alcaucin:
    Thanks for feedback/ openness

That's really my only goal for my presence on the forums. I won't have all the answers, but I will be open and honest with everything that I do know. And it works both ways, too. Trust me, MisterWGT has received an earful from me many, many times :)

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• gmaster007
    2,101 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:12 PM

renniw52:

Was anyone else that good in less than a month? 

sh*t, I don't even think I've made a birdie until day 60 lol :)

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:19 PM

WGTpizza- I think it would go a long way for WGT to draft a simple acknowledgement of resolution of the investigation at its conclusion to the reporter of the potential fraudulent account. A noncommittal "Thank you for your report of XXXXX. We have investigated and taken appropriate action."

Appropriate action could be anything from leaving the account alone to a permanent ban; the reporter doesn't need those details. What people are looking for is a tangible confirmation that these things ARE being looked at.

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:32 PM

I hear you loud and clear, sremllim234, but I am confident that doing so would be grounds for legal action. I am not a lawyer, nor do I perform legal functions within WGT, but my experience tells me that ANY sort of confirmation of action taken, no matter how vague, is bad. The most we could commit to is this:

"Thank you for your report of XXXXX. We will investigate this matter and take all appropriate action."

I know all this legal stuff sucks, but we must follow it.

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:00 PM

WGTpizza:
    I know all this legal stuff sucks, but we must follow it.

"We have reviewed your highly dubious score of 58 in a recent WGT tournament, after opening your account only a few days prior to the contest. Your account is closed" How long does that take your limited resources? A few of those every week would go a long way.

Hitemstr8,

Sixkiller

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:04 PM

Timing is the biggest problem. Simply put, WGT has a serious credibility issue with a lot of its members. About a lot of topics. Telling people what you WILL do is pointless if the trust is not there that you will do it.

The confirmation at the end of the investigation doesn't even have to indicate that action was taken if that's what the legal department is afraid of. It could be a simpler, "Thank you for your report of XXXXX. Our investigation of the matter is now concluded."

I've been around here for over five years and quite frankly  WGT has been incredibly poor at customer service. It is also not forthcoming with details about things of substance to its members. I realize your personal goal is to change that but it's going to take a huge effort.  It is going to also require a change in the general company philosophy of WGT regarding its customers.

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:20 PM

sixkiller:
    "We have reviewed your highly dubious score of 58 in a recent WGT tournament, after opening your account only a few days prior to the contest. Your account is closed" How long does that take your limited resources? A few of those every week would go a long way.

Hey sixkiller, we were talking about informing the community of the offense, not the offender. We are not able to make public any disciplinary actions.

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:29 PM

WGTpizza:
    We are not able to make public any disciplinary actions.

didn't say you should, just take some action, people will notice.

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:30 PM

srellim234:
    The confirmation at the end of the investigation

If we inform the reporter with any information that can be perceived, in any way, as a confirmation of disciplinary action taken, then we are making disciplinary actions public. We can not do that. I'm not arguing with you, just stating the facts that we must run a business by.

srellim234:
    I realize your personal goal is to change that but it's going to take a huge effort.

More than that, it's a company goal. That's why I have a job - WGT think it's very important to facilitate communication between the community and the staff. It will take a big effort, nothing insurmountable, but definitely more difficult than a larger company.

srellim234:
    It is going to also require a change in the general company philosophy of WGT regarding its customers.

One year ago, Community Management was not within the vocabulary of WGT. The company has changed according to it's community's requests wherever possible, as quickly as possible. Again, I am noticing the dichotomy of players wanting "instant results" but also recognizing that there is a "huge effort" ahead of us. We can't produce fixes to problems every hour of every day. We can only do the best we can, and that's our promise. We are not saying "if you don't like it, tough luck!". We are only saying exactly what we can do, and nothing else. I think the community will benefit from this.

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza 

RSS