Forums

Help › Forums

How best to spend 2000 credits

rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 14 2012 1:14 AM (51 replies)
  • muttsnutts69
    283 Posts
    Mon, Nov 12 2012 1:56 PM

The G20 Level 59 irons are a good buy. A friend of mine got promoted prematurely to Lgend at level 72, and these irons were gifted to him. He manages OK.

You will struggle playing with low trajectory irons, always get 'high' trajectory.

My 2 pennies worth.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 12:24 AM

Thanks, that seems like good advice to me. I'll keep in mind to go for high trajectory only. That goes for the irons alone or for (some of) the other clubs as well ?

By the way, I'm kind of getting used a bit to the high meterspeed of my current wgt tour pro set. So equal meterspeed is not that big of a problem. A bit lower would be welcome though, if there are no disadvantages attached.

To further specify my goal: Not keep buying equipment that's useless in the long run.

Now, after looking at quiet some club sets and reading peoples advice it seems to me that the more discount you get on any full set the more useless it (or parts of it) will be, when playing as a legend. Could I be right there ?

Off course, still a long way to go, but I am rather patient so the question is: What equipment is really worth saving my credits for ?

Say I go with the above adviced lvl59 G20 set for 3995 credits. I had a good look at the set and they seem a logic follow up on my current set. Are they good enough to compete in the long run, until off course when passing the 90's lvl's taking the reward and going for the big guns ?

What wedges fit well with them ?

Ping Tour W 54° Wedge (L60+)
    Ping Tour W 60° Wedge (L60+)

People talk about three wedges, but you must leave something out of your bag for adding this 3rd wedge, right ? What do you leave out ?

Would the Ping Tour W 64° Wedge (L42+) be a good third ?

Anyone disagree with the G20 advice ?

A lot of questions, i know. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

R.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:34 AM

A lot of ppl (like me) will agree to the G20 - lvl59 and later, lvl83. Others will propose the Taylormade way - faster but better in their opinion. It's a question of taste...

All this is related to the balls. They reduce the meter speed remarkably, even without "feel". Try some WGT balls, starting from 10 crs / sleeve...

For the third wedge, the hybrid is sacrificed by most players. The idea is that the punched 3WD will close the gap. There are some pros and cons to this though.

The best short game set will cover a broad range from 50 or 60 yds to the PW, evenly spaced. Thus the recommendation is difficult without knowing the iron set. There are 60 - 80 - 100 available, 50 - 75 - 100 (mixed bag) and others. I use the old Z Satins with 50 - 77 - 98.

• McHola
    209 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:44 AM

Rockitch:
    People talk about three wedges, but you must leave something out of your bag for adding this 3rd wedge, right ? What do you leave out ?

If you find an iron set that covers the hybrid, like the g20 for example then the long irons cover the distance and stop better, that then give you the opportunity to have 3 wedges, which is IMHO so so needed and you wouldn't look back.

More control around the greens, my approach 8/10 times is dropped within 4yd or less, shame I can't putt or I'd regularly be hitting -10 and better.

Rockitch:
    What wedges fit well with them ?

IMO the wedges I have are great, forward spin into a 17head wind will not affect it (unless a major uphill of course), the control is great. just like anything, you need to get used to them.

I cannot see a problem with the pings too, but IMO the extra spin is needed to stop the ball better. My 50yd wedge is now like a part of my body, I understand it and it understands me.. lol. It has gotten me out of a bogey situation and landed a bird on many occasions.

My scrambling (last time i looked) is around 60 odd % and my sand saves were above 50%, thanks to that little nifty piece off kit.

I love my driver, less distance than a G20 but the precision is fantastic and IMHO better.

All clubs I have were purchased thru the free credit scheme, and/or the complete offers. I've only popped my hand into my wallett to get $10 out, was lucky with winning $80 back, and beeen moving that around to other bonus schemes.

More expense this way compared to the pings but I will not be changing them for a long time, if ever. 

So rock...  IMO     G20 iron set and some taylor wedges..   ON longer courses I'd go with what I have equipped now.  105yd-86yd-50yd, but shorter cours I would take out the 105yd and addone inbetween the 2 smallerdistance wedges.

With my r11s driver against someone with g20 driver, I have found that due to certain hole layouts I have beaten the g20 on plenty of occasions and on other occasions have found that you can't use a full swing (e) with a g20. I think when you hit the car park tees then my advice would be different as that distace is required.

ATB no matter what way you go

e: Oh, the difference in swing is not a problem like some say. your brain can adjust v quickly, that's the main positive about being human, how we adjust.. 

(lol... well some of us do)

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 2:34 AM

McHola:

e: Oh, the difference in swing is not a problem like some say. your brain can adjust v quickly, that's the main positive about being human, how we adjust.. 

(lol... well some of us do)

Until now I have the idea all my equipment should have the same meterspeed, so I can get used to that certain speed. I see u use overall taylormades, with ping irons. Doesn't the difference in meterspeed throw you off ?

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 4:41 AM

Rockitch:
    Turned pro and bought the 1415c set as mentioned before..... to find out it is near unplayable with standard balls. Ok, doing a 9 holes stroke game most holes go better then before, but the rediculous meterspeed overrules any progress, because of the mis-hits you get every now and then. So in order to keep having fun playing, you must keep puting more and more money into it. A couple of hundred credits for some balls..... remember... these are VIRTUAL balls, not real ones. And they wear faster then you can blink your eyes. I wonder how much money people leave here.

It's tough I know - your choices are basically:

1 - Get a near naked profile pic and say that you won't play anyone unless they gift you balls. 

2 - Sandbag

3 - Pay for decent balls to slow your meter speed and practice like crazy until you can hold your own in RG's etc - it is possible to break even.

4 - Find a nice CC and stick to playing friendly matches with your mates who have similar equip.

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 4:43 AM

BTW i should point out that options 1 and 2 are against the rules/spirit of the game and as such are not a good idea!!

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:29 AM

I looked up sandbagger ....., so, those are the dudes I left my credits with in the few RG's I played. Feeling so proud of (what i felt to be) a good score..... only to see afterwards I finished in the bottom half :(

• McHola
    209 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 8:56 AM

If you need to have the same speed for the meter bar then my advice is best forgotten. I don't believe in what others say about difference in meter. IMHO all can play just as good with diferent meter speeds, it's just like IRL people get into the comfort zone and are scared to come out of it.

Think about it this way. Is everyones' putter meter speed the same as their wood or iron clubs? Nope. it's slower, isn't it?!?!

If I was a good veteran on here and said that everytime I hit the ding it's 'cause I pop a finger up me hole as it makes you a better hitter, would you try it?

:)

ATB

Rob

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 9:57 AM

McHola:

If I was a good veteran on here and said that everytime I hit the ding it's 'cause I pop a finger up me hole as it makes you a better hitter, would you try it?

:)

ATB

Rob

For sure :)

RSS