Forums

Help › Forums

The Beer Discussion

Sat, Jan 5 2013 9:58 AM (66 replies)
  • SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Dec 21 2012 11:04 PM

Well now, I am sure the majority of WGT'ers also enjoy partaking of the icy cold amber ale which we know and love as 'Beer'.

Although I am predominantly a Bourbon drinker, I enjoy many local and imported beers. 

Even at stage having been a home brewer and brewed hundreds of different styles of beer.

I now have a new favourite, I have heard the tale of Pabst Blue Ribbon being a worthy contender for the emptying of my wallet, although had never seen it available for sale here in my corner of Australia.

I had the occasion to visit my loyal local Bottle Store and whilst on my way to the Aisle of Spirits, a white glow was emitting from the beer area, feeling a little curious I wondered over and to my elation, there was a lonely pallet of PBR beckoning to me.

Well, i said to myself,  "self, we had better make purchase of one of these 6 packs and duly sample this legendary beer lest my american friends tease and vex me of my negligence."

Upon my return home I placed these cold cans of intrigue into my freezer box.

Pacing up and down and back again until these delights had finally cooled down.

I promptly took possession of one of these 500ml cans and was slyly smiling as the cold condensation of bubbles appeared on the surface. I did pull the ring back to the familiar resonating angelic sound of "Pffssttt"  emitting from the hole in which i was about to be rather intimate with.

As any true beer connoisseur would do, i rose the can to my lips, tilted my head backwards like and took a more than generous sample into my alimentary canal.

I was in ecstatic delight as the effervescent bubbles cascaded their way down my throat, bubbles not unlike the nature of a fine Bollinger.
    A light and cheery hops flavour greeted my taste buds and  it was with a sense of achievement that I had accomplished and witnessed what all my US friends had been telling me about for almost a decade.
    I celebrated that first can with a flattering & resounding 'burp' which tickled my nasal orifice.
    Snapping photos on my cell phone and sending them to my friends I was rewarded with cheers of approval that could be heard from the Harbour Bridge to the other side of the Black Stump.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is now high on my list of sensational Beers.

I returned to my Bottle shop today in eager anticipation of another romance with a 6 pack of PBR  only to be told they had sold out of that pallet.

wtf!

Being a very hot day here in sydney today,  and with my taste buds antagonising me for a refreshing beer, I took home with me my most favourite beer , Grolsch.

So, I sit here now with an icy cold Grolsch swing top, drowning the days heat into my memory and pondered what my WGT peers might have as choice of their favourite beer.

So WGT, ...

Beer!, please discuss.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Dec 21 2012 11:34 PM

I have been known to partake in a refreshing glass of my local brew at weekends. Okells.

Brews.aspx

• RootsRo
    419 Posts
    Fri, Dec 21 2012 11:45 PM

Shrude,

Great read my man! 

Being from The Netherlands i can enjoy the Grolsch beer on a daily bases  in any shape or form. Swingtop, Capped botle or from the tap. They also make a beer called the Kanon (cannon) 3 of those and you are well on your way to happiness.

Favorite beer for me is called La Chouffe, a lokal brew from the monks in Belgium strong and very tasty.

Greets Roots

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 12:46 AM

Grolsch from a swingtop has always been a favorite of mine, but on the odd occasion I drink beer (or anything for that matter) Tsingtao is my top drop (I lived in Asia for way too long lol). Having said that after a hot day on the course, most beers can slide down quite easily!

Worst beer is in the UK, purely because its served to warm.

• bluey403
    1,533 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 1:26 AM

ya cant beat a stubby of XXXX GOLD,on ice mates

any day ending in Y

if its good enough for BLACK CAVIAR,its gotta be the best

happy days.

• Steve442
    710 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 1:33 AM

alanti:

You've been to the wrong parts of the UK. The further north you go the colder the beer (and usually the weather!)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 2:08 AM

Steve442:

alanti:

You've been to the wrong parts of the UK. The further north you go the colder the beer (and usually the weather!)

LOL, yep lived in London 10 years, but been to Scotland and North England where the beer was served at room temperature - was FREEZING cold! Btw real ale tastes great but for my palate still needs to be cold.

• Udo1
    123 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 2:28 AM

Greetings from Bavaria guys.

I've tried lots of beers from around the world and my opinion is, drink local and avoid any beer brand from one of the big companies in the world.

A micro brewery seldom let's you down.

• HacMcDuffer
    1,094 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 3:22 AM

• Phaxda
    145 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 3:41 AM

Even better when you know your brewer. This man's black lager is insanely good.

Adam Lamoreaux, founder and brewmaster of Linden Street Brewery, holds a jug of his brew. He started the first production brewery in Oakland in decades and now has a year-long backlog of restaurants that want to sell Linden Street beers.

Udo1:

Greetings from Bavaria guys.

I've tried lots of beers from around the world and my opinion is, drink local and avoid any beer brand from one of the big companies in the world.

A micro brewery seldom let's you down.

RSS