Forums

Help › Forums

So, what now?

Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:48 AM (282 replies)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2013 2:26 PM

I have noticed that a lot of putts under 7 ft are more apt to fall in using the off ding method...just recently I had a putt 5ft with dots moving r to l break left to right, putts with 0 break less than 5ft and dinged break off the hole, putts with break stop 6in past the hole and not break at all...played Cabo for the 1st time and had the round of my life going, 7 under after nine, should have been 9 under but I pulled a 4ft and  didn't even look at a 3.5 ft'er , just powered up w/o even looking and left it on the lip...THEN I get to 10 and approach shot lands 9 ft from hole...the birdie putt has a pretty big break but level so I play to give it a chance to go but leave a tap in if it doesn't, the putt shoots 8ft past the hole with 0 break on a level surface...now I have a slightly uphill putt, do the math and hit it, it shoots 6ft past the cup again in the blink of an eye and stops like it hit a wall...so I Happy Gilmored the putt to the hole for a 7 and round is ruined I'm so pissed off, I had both putts powered correctly it was some sort of glitch...still finished 6 under because I holed a few par and birdie putts that were hit very poorly but still went in...so I go to SG yesterday where I can't seem to add enough to allow for the posted wind, I'm 20 ft minimum fron every pin, frustrated I just bang them using the off ding and instinct and everything is falling in or close...go figure!

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2013 3:14 PM

Fekdrink:

Is there such a thing as reverse VEM? Just hit 63 at Kiawah, with ten birdies and yet putted like a total dork. Yet pretty much every missed snap still held it's desired line and dropped. It's almost as if the WGT programme was taking pity on me.

I'm off to buy a lottery ticket, it's my day.

Well at least one of us had a good day.  Shanked a 3 footer for par at Whistler, made double at Congressional after forgetting to check the putter scale for like the 200th time, and failed to drive the green at St Andrews 9th even with a legit tail wind and a baby R1.  I still got up and down from the bunker for bird so nbd really, but I still need to drive that hole 2x more times so I can unlock the next Boom Boom award.

But on the bright side, I will reach level 61 after the 7:00pm daily bonus so I guess that is o.k.  Only 19 brutally long levels to go before I can unlock the Bladez and chunk my starter irons into the lake LoL.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2013 4:47 PM

Hmmm, I've got the baby R1 and have to hit it 85-90% with any kind of side or tail wind to keep from going through the green...in fact I just hit 81 and went to buy the G20 240yd 3 wood, wasn't  thinking as it was late and accidently bought the driver, when I realized it had to go back and get the 3wood...since i already wasted 1700 credits I tried it out using the R1 and G20 a few holes on the same course and the R1 consistently outdrives the G20 with more roll...G20 is good on certain hole that roll out puts you in the rough on a dogleg but other than that it is a waste of money, lot harder to control too with the high trajectory....hated to waste the credits on it because I wanted to try the odyssey higher level putter for like 2500 credits even though the chart doesn't rate it any higher than the lower level one, has anyone owned both? Is the versa any better?

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Wed, Aug 14 2013 8:25 AM

Bubbacrusher007. Thanks for the thoughts. Can't get my head round the "off-ding" putting method as of yet. More practice required I feel.

Fatdan. I've only played Cabo a few times (refuse to pay the entry fee) but have found the putting more difficult than any other course. Perhaps that's it is because I haven't played enough to learn the individual green's idiosynchrasies. Can't help you re the clubs as I've played with so few.

BigInigoMontoya. The Rocketbladez irons are well worth the wait. Like yourself I held out with the starter irons until they were available and boy do they make a wonderful difference.

I've been playing much more consistently of late, only three of the last thirteen over par (that's a marked improvement for yours truly) and in the last week have hit my best nine and eighteen scores (29 and 63 respectively). Now this may be psychological but I've felt much more comfortable since I've been using the little arrow rather than the swing logo on the swing meter. I'm just getting so much closer to the snap. Perhaps it focuses the mind better or it's easier to place on the line.

Whatever the reason I've dropped my average from roughly 66 to 64.73 since using this technique. Perhaps everyone else does this already but if not and it's not been written up can I christen it "The little pointy arrow method"?

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2013 1:47 AM

Those are good personal best scores, especially the 63 on 18 holes.

R.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2013 2:12 AM

Hi feks, thanks for friending me. I have sent you a message on here. To view it, look for messages where you click play now, cheers.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Mon, Aug 19 2013 12:49 PM

Wow, glad I've not just played with an insecure Legend. Just hit a 28. I'd up before the "Cheat Police" faster than Usain Bolt on speed. Master Tier players aren't supposed to score this well.

Actually I'm just showing off. Sorry, but I'm really over the moon with a new Nine Hole personal best.

Who says this game sucks?

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Mon, Aug 19 2013 1:43 PM

Excellent scoring Fek mate,  All that practice and learning your equipment is starting to pay off. As for insecure Legend, you'll be one very soon m8, then the VEM monsters and hob goblins take over lol ......

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Mon, Aug 19 2013 5:16 PM

Hello Fekkers old chap.

What an enjoyable read, all of it, ur humour is sensational, and u use words that even I struggle to understand. I am impressed more than I can say.

Anyway it is like reading someone's diary, I hope u don't feel violated by exposing ur inner feelings as u journey thro WGTland.

Must just say I have an average of 45.71 for those 5 foot putts, and I am no great shakes of a putter.

I think a game with u wud be most enjoyable, so FR sent.

regards

1i

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:50 AM

Thanks Mushy01. I have to point out it was at St Georges with zero wind and I promptly hit par the round afterwards, but none the less I was really pleased. Still got to reach TM and get through that Tier before I can reach the Hallowed Turf that is the back tees. Just one quick question. The only difference at TM is the green speed?

oneeyedjohn. Thanks for the kind words. With all these people hitting seriously sub par on their first rounds I did think it would be interesting to catalogue the ups and downs of a mere mortal. Is that an Icelandic flag? Your style of writing is more old school British.

Re the baring of my soul, trust me this is nothing. I write a football blog on FISO (a British forum site) which goes way, way further. Been going for about four years now. I also used to do a lot on Tripadvisor (under a different sign in) before I was banned - long story. Guess I'm just a frustrated writer.

All the best, Fekdrink.

RSS