Forums

Help › Forums

So, what now?

Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:48 AM (282 replies)
  • Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Tue, Jun 18 2013 11:11 AM

Finally, after three days of playing at Master Tier, (though not at Master standard - quite frankly I've played like a dyspraxic pair of fetid dingos kidneys of late) I've worked out why I appeared to have not dropped back to the re Master tees. I have. But only on the weekly tournaments. On the monthly ones I'm still off the yellow Pro tees. Clearly because I began the month of June as a Tour Pro. OK so it took a while to fathom it out. What can I say? I'm clearly not very bright.

Anyway these red tees. Fek me they're a bit further back aren't they? My Rocketbladez irons can't come soon enough. Still three levels off though I'm afraid. However my wished for Nike putter is now just under a level away. 7 662 XPs to be precise. It'll be very interesting to see how it improves my frankly shockingly shapeless putting average of 1.90.

My thanks to googlz for his kind words on my wall. A fellow skinflint, now a Legend, who like me refused to spend  penny on equipment. Ta mate.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Jun 18 2013 12:50 PM

Ah - the tree of knowledge...

You might want to take profit of this advantage by sticking to the short tees as long as possible - it helps with egobagging, keeping the average low ;->

This change in length hit me more than anything else in this game. It is a giant step for sure, marking the difference between free play and custom clubs for the majority here.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jun 18 2013 1:19 PM

Congrats for making Master.

For me this was the most difficult advancement. The longer tees made the game a lot harder. especially as I was still kitted  with starter equipment. After upgrading I saw how much easier the game was, even from the Master tees It does take time adjusting but you will be fine.

Personally I would rather have a third wedge than a hybrid, especially when you are only hitting 63% of GIR. 3 wedges will help you get a lot closer and save you a lot more shots than a hybrid IMO and will improve your saves percentages.

Just continue to enjoy the journey.

• BlackGibbon
    349 Posts
    Tue, Jun 18 2013 6:00 PM

alanti:

Congrats for making Master.

For me this was the most difficult advancement. The longer tees made the game a lot harder. especially as I was still kitted  with starter equipment. After upgrading I saw how much easier the game was, even from the Master tees It does take time adjusting but you will be fine.

Personally I would rather have a third wedge than a hybrid, especially when you are only hitting 63% of GIR. 3 wedges will help you get a lot closer and save you a lot more shots than a hybrid IMO and will improve your saves percentages.

I totally agree with everything alanti said. I found the step up from tour pro to master the hardest of the lot(including tourmaster to legend).

I, like you, have never spent a penny on WGT and trust me all the time you have spent learning the courses with "lesser equipment" will hold you in good steed the further along the road you get.

All the best,

Al.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Wed, Jun 19 2013 9:42 AM

As ever alosso thank you for the feedback. The trail I have chosen to follow is a lonely one as I don't play any competitive matches. Now this is a means to an end ie getting to Level 79 as quickly as possible so that I can finally rid myself of the last of the starter gear. Therefore such input on this thread is invaluable. I hope that when I have got to where I'm going you would do me the honour of knocking a few balls around with me..

Atlanti, ditto really. You were one of the early people to welome me to the game and I remain in your debt. Re the club selection I'm still stuck with the starter pitching wedge which, at 90ds, gives me the same distance as the Ping wedge I bought. Therefore logic dictates using the hybrid as the last club in my bag. Until I upgrade my irons (please, please let that be soon) of course. Re my GIR, scrambling and sand save percentages, yes they are very poor. But as the wise man once said "there are lies, damn lies and statistics".. The figures I have are of my total time on the game. Whilst a lot of work is required, my GIR for instance has climbed from 60% after 61 days of playing to 63% after 81, so it is improving. Not that I'll be troubling any Legends for a goodly while yet!

BlackGibbon. Very kind and encouraging words, thank you. Shot management with the starter irons has to arguably be more thoughtful than playing with some say RocketBladez, which I'm assuming will give the opportunity to attack more pins, with their ability to stop the ball this century. Again I would be honoured to play a round with you when I have curtailed my single minded pursuit of Level climbing.

In fact that goes for everyone who has been so kind to help me thus far.

All the best, Fekdrink.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Jun 19 2013 2:03 PM

Fekdrink:
    Shot management with the starter irons has to arguably be more thoughtful than playing with some say RocketBladez, which I'm assuming will give the opportunity to attack more pins

This is so true. As I have mentioned I used the starters kit (except Tour Pro Driver ) until Masters and what it does teach you is how to play different holes and the subtle contours, where to land the ball, and does hone your longer distance putting calculations.. Basically it is a lesson in good course management, and working with what you have and knowing those limitations,

As for stats, the are meaningless as they are never reset, whether you upgrade equipment or change tiers. Most players know their own weaknesses and the reasons why those stats are low. For the record my scrambling stats were worse than yours (by a fair bit) at the same stage. They have slowly improved but will never look good on paper due to that shabby first half where the courses mauled me.

I really have been impressed with your attitude from when you first came to the forums. quite a refreshing stance  and someone who is rising to the challenge rather than complaining. Full marks to you!

• BlackGibbon
    349 Posts
    Wed, Jun 19 2013 6:24 PM

Fekdrink:
    Again I would be honoured to play a round with you when I have curtailed my single minded pursuit of Level climbing.

I have sent you a friend request and it would be great to have a round sometime.

I understand your "single mindedness" but you are allowed to try some other form of game-play Have a bit of fun against an opponent for a change. It will be worth it for game tips etc alone..............

Happy clicking,

Al.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 3:13 AM

Hi BlackGibbon. Request most gratefully accepted.

Can I get back to you in about a fortnight about a game please? I should reach Level 77 in the next 48 hrs (new Nike putter purchase)  and Level 79 by next weekend (RocketBladez irons). I would like a few rounds thereafter to learn the new clubs quirks and advantages before I start playing against a Legend such as yourself. I don't wish to make a total gentleman's dangly part of myself and any advice you may offer wil make much more sense if I've got a basic understanding of my equipment.

On a different note, lots of freebie credits available at the moment if people haven't noticed. I picked up 52 yesterday from videos alone. I'm sure that most players will know this, but don't foret to click on the "Take Surveys" link. Even if you don't want to do any surveys there's currently 24 credits available from videos below the surveys (in the UK at least).

Every little helps.

• BlackGibbon
    349 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 6:42 AM

Fekdrink:

Hi BlackGibbon. Request most gratefully accepted.

Can I get back to you in about a fortnight about a game please? I should reach Level 77 in the next 48 hrs (new Nike putter purchase)  and Level 79 by next weekend (RocketBladez irons). I would like a few rounds thereafter to learn the new clubs quirks and advantages before I start playing against a Legend such as yourself. I don't wish to make a total gentleman's dangly part of myself and any advice you may offer wil make much more sense if I've got a basic understanding of my equipment.

Yes no problem my friend. In the mean time just give me a shout if I can help in any way. When you are ready for a game just send me an invite.(Btw, I have and still do "make a total gentleman's dangly part of myself "  on a few occasions but it all helps in the understanding of the game.

All the best,

Al.

• BlackGibbon
    349 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 6:43 AM

RSS