Forums

Help › Forums

So, what now?

Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:48 AM (282 replies)
  • Danmark2010
    805 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 6:44 AM

Fekdrink:

I started playing WGT a little under a month ago having read that it was a great "free" online game. Having played a lot of console based golf games from the days of he good old Commodore C64 through to the latest Tiger Woods PGA incarnation on the Xbox I thought this was a game for me. So, as much for me as anyone else here's my experiences so far and my plans for the future.

First things first. I decided fom the day I started that I wasn't going to pay a penny to play the game. If that meant I couldn't advance then so be it. I'd let the videos role and do the odd survey (not giving away too many sensitive personal details) and pick up free credits where I could.

At first I found the game tough. In fact I still do. So I set myself realistic targets. First up was to play at least a few holes ever day to climb the levels ladder and try to break the 18 handicap. After a week or so the target became a 9 handicap. I began to realse quickly that I needed better equipment. But didn't have the credits. However then came the free rental offer over the Masters' weekend. So I tried out some middle ranging clubs to see what I could achieve. And sure enough there was an improvement and I found myself shooting an average of about 2 over with the odd below par score. Hardly groundbreaking. I decided there and then to be patient and wait before spending my few credits until I could afford some really decent equipment. Clubs which would not need replacing until much,much later. I did some reserch, looked through the pro shop for good value, reachable without hitting Levels in the 90s. This is the list I've come up with:-

Driver - TM R1 TP 9.0, Level48, Cost - 2 495

3W - TM R11S, Level 41, Cost - 665

3H - TM R11S, Level 43, Cost - 665

Irons - TM RocketBallz, Level 68, Cost - 2 195

Wedges - TM ATV, 60 and 64, Levels 86/87,  Cost - 1 195 each

Putter - Nike Method, Level 77, Cost 2 000

So here I stand now, about to make my first purchase. I'm at Level 48 and have 2 392 in the bank. Within the next 48 hrs I'll have enough to take the plunge. And perhaps against popular thought it'll be for the TaylorMade driver. My reasoning is simple. At the moment my standard driver gives me a paltry 225 off the tee. Meaning at least twice a round I can't make the green in two. Frequently three or four times a round when the wind's against. The TM will offer a non wind assisted 275. It's a no brainer to be able to reach pretty much every hole and have shorter shots in in all but the par threes.

Will this policy get me regular sub par rounds? Can I afford not to keep getting decent balls and saving for the next club upgrade? Time will tell. And then what?

Advice: stay a way if you can  and try to don't speend money in eny clubs or ball's take the survey and pay from there.Dont do the same way like i do speend more than $10.000 and in going no where.Im here fromthe last 3 years and i know very well what im spicking

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 12:03 PM

All advice greatly welcomed Danmark2010.

I haven't spent any money yet and don't intend to. I've got nearly 6 700 credits in the bank  (mainly from surveys) which will cover my next two purchases (Nike Method 001 putter - 2 000, RocketBladez irons 2 595). I was toying with the Cleveland wedges available in the late 70s/early80s, but I quite like the cheap Pings I bought. They don't spin back but do stop pretty darn quick. I'm actually worried I may find the excessive spin on the Clevelands difficult to handle. Plus there's some TM ATVs available from the middle 80s. All in all I think just get a grip on the new irons and putter first.

Of course then it will be time to start buying balls. My understanding is that is where the serious expense kicks in. If I can just keep averaging well over 100 credits a day though from surveys etc I should be able to afford a sleeve of say Level 33 Clevelands every two to three days which should be enough so long as I don't act like a Eunuch too often. ie losing them.

Tak igen, Fekdrink.

• kensabre10
    3,028 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 1:52 PM

as one survey taker to an other, dont get too dependent on those surveys. they will kick you out after 10 15 minutes of giving info and say you were screened out! they'll give you a paltry 5 credits & you get screwed! unless you actually purchase something for big credits, you'll just be looking at an occassional sleeve. i like the callaway iz. they are 250 a sleeve and do everything well. good luck!!

kensabre10

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 3:49 PM

Point taken kensabre10.

So far I've been pretty lucky with the surveys in that once in I can usually complete 80% of them, but my run could easily end soon. It's one of the reasons I've still got starter and a starter putter. I don't wish to waste any credits on gear which will quickly need replacing.

All the best, Fekdrink.

• BlackGibbon
    349 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 4:23 PM

Fekdrink:
    I've still got starter and a starter putter. I don't wish to waste any credits on gear which will quickly need replacing.

I still have my level 35 Ghost spider putter and i have no intention in trading it in. It works just as well on the legend/tournament/championship greens as it always as done. Further, I have seen a lot of legends/tour legends still using them. The putter cost me 800 credits and been worth every penny of it. I have got used to it over

the months and out of all the clubs i have purchased so far it as easily been the best value.

Al.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 4:56 PM

great log of your rise through the ranks Fekdrink m8 , been  a great read from the day you first posted .... not too long now to 79 ;-)

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2013 5:51 PM

Well finally got to Level 77 and no hesitation in buying the Nike Method 001 putter. I know its not highly favoured by many but I just have a feeling it's going to be right for me. The big question is how many shots will it be worth. My putting average is a frankly pitiful 1.90, though in mitigation this is certainly not helped by an average distance to pin of 21 feet on approach. So I'm hoping for a significant improvement in the putting average first and then the distance from pin when the RocketBladez become available in 18 000 XPs time.

Mushy01, thanks for your continued support. I hope my story can continue to be one of further improvement.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Sun, Jun 23 2013 7:32 AM

Quick question. Well three linked questions actually.

Does anyone playing have a sub five foot putting average of greater than 50%? As far as I can see no one does. Not even the 12th Dan Grand Master Tour Legend Black Belts.

And if not, why not? What does this "average" actually mean?

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Mon, Jun 24 2013 10:51 AM

"Saturation". The finest word in the WGT dictionary.

In which it is defined as "You can hit a totally sh*t round and your average goes down".

• hothanger
    3 Posts
    Mon, Jun 24 2013 12:07 PM

your wisdom is "dead on". Theres really nothing free about the game but dreams. The more I strived to make lower scores, the more obvious it became to get the equipment to make that happen. Like so many others, the surveys "disqualified me for not being what they were looking for" and so I charged my 275 average driver, the 230 average 3 wood, and irons to fit me with a credit card !!! I love the distance, but was it really worth the extra cost, especially the high quality balls? Beats the h**l outta me, but not being competitive sucks. 

RSS