Forums

Help › Forums

The 30 yard dilemma - now the 57 yard dilemma

Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:53 PM (57 replies)
  • SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 11:06 AM

I use 3 wedges. One has a distance of 50 yards, one's 60 and the other is way better than the other two and is 85 yards and is 32 yards with a flop shot. When I'm 30 yards from the hole, which one should I use?

Doodles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A year and a bit later, I have a new dilemma. 57 yards. With my 50 wedge, I can't get it to go 57 yards with whatever spin I try, including neutral spin. I've tried it with Nikes, never reached. Heck, I've tried steroids. LOL.

With my 80 yard wedge, which punches 68 yards, I can't choke it to 57 for the life of me. Any tips on that shot to do with avatar movements of something?

With my 115 wedge, I once tried choking it to 57 yards. Epic fail with 10-15 yards of roll out. What's the avatar movements for punching the 115 wedge? WGT has it at 96 yards for full btw.

So, what do I hit is the big question again?

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 11:32 AM

Depends what you have between the ball and the hole.

I use the 50 yard lob and play a punch shot at about 80% for that distance frequently.

You should get yourself a 75yard lob, that punches 62 yards and means you've got 75, 62, 50 & 41 yards between full shot and full punch with the 2 clubs.

• AwsomeAl
    237 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 11:34 AM

Personally, i would go with the flop, but would depend on lie and also what the elevation to the green was.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 11:39 AM

AwsomeAl:

Personally, i would go with the flop, but would depend on lie and also what the elevation to the green was.

Elevation is dead even and the ball is on the fairway.

Doodles

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 12:01 PM

The shortest one. It will stop better.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 12:07 PM

piztaker:

The shortest one. It will stop better.

Thanks for your opinion.

Doodles

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 12:51 PM

Hi Sarg.  Club selection and the way you configure your bag is also important.  I'm assuming the 50 yard club you refer to in your post is the Beginner or Starter LW rated at 50 yards, the Beginner SW is rated at 60 yards, the Z Satin 54 is rated at 85 yards and the PW (the shortest club in your Starter Plus Iron Set) is rated at 90 yards.  Not taking other factors in to consideration like Trajectory, Presision, Forgiveness etc., there are inconsistant gaps in that set up.  For example: there is a 10 yard gap between your LW and your SW, a 25 yard gap between your SW and your Satin 54 and only a 5 yards difference between the Satin 54 and the PW in your iron set. 

I'm not saying this is wrong, but it could be a factor in making more consistent shots.  Look at the bags of our better players, you'll notice very similar characteristics, meter speeds and gaps (distance) between their clubs...especially wedges.

I hope this makes sense (smile)

Joey

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 1:14 PM

Learn to use the Flop shot.  It has virtually no roll and is the best shot for me from around the green.  I have gotten rid of the Hybrid and added a 3rd wedge myself, which gives me Flop shot range of 35,31, and 25 yards.  Practice it and it can be deadly accurate.

• aussieguyadam
    602 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 6:12 PM

full shot 50 yrd wedge id go 35 touch off full spin  flop shot at that distance i dont find accurate enough with the roll .

• borntobesting
    9,681 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 6:53 PM

SgtDoodles:

I use 3 wedges. One has a distance of 50 yards, one's 60 and the other is way better than the other two and is 85 yards and is 32 yards with a flop shot. When I'm 30 yards from the hole, which one should I use?

Doodles

Tiffer hit the nail on the head so to speak. Learn to use the punch shot with your wedges and you can effectively fill in the gaps of your wedges. It's like having 8 different wedges counting the pitching wedge in the iron set you have.My punch distances are pw 106 or 98 depending on whether I am using the TM tour preferred iron set or the Ping G10 iron set. 

54 degree Ping tour W  87

60 degree Ping Tour W 71

64 degree Ping Tour W 49

Inside 25 yards sometimes I will use the flop but the punch for me is just as effective.

RSS