Forums

Help › Forums

The 30 yard dilemma - now the 57 yard dilemma

Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:53 PM (57 replies)
  • mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 12:29 AM

Longwedge:

" Thanks for the advise.  I had never tried doing 'punch' shots, and I think I know why.   After reading this I started a practice round.  On #2 on SA I had a 70 yard shot and tried the 70 yard punch with full spin... and it went 90 yards(granted, a lot of it was roll).  How much does the spin matter?  I've always tried to hit 'full' shots with spin around the greens until I read this, and figured I'd try to fill those gaps, as I seem to have a lot of shots between 30-50 yards."

70 yards out might be a bit too far out to try the punch...I stick to under 50 yards from the fairway, and under 65 yards from the rough.  If I'm in the fairway 70 yards out I can just pull out my full 75 yard wedge and make adjustments for wind and elevation from there.  But a punch shot from 50 yards with a wedge should just about stop dead on the green...mine always seems to.  Keep practicing it...

With a good wege and a whole lotta backspin the ball should stop dead within 3-5 yds. The flop shot fills in gaps very nicely with the wedges - it is also less affected by the wind and works great on rough and sand lies.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 10:06 AM

mohuyu:

With a good wege and a whole lotta backspin the ball should stop dead within 3-5 yds. The flop shot fills in gaps very nicely with the wedges - it is also less affected by the wind and works great on rough and sand lies.

I don't know where I'd be without the flop shots and my trusty wedges. I expect to get under 5 foot away from 30 yards using a flop shot. I used to go for Kia Island #11 in 2 but now I just drop short 30-40 yards away and flop my way to a birdie! However, when changing wedges you have to get used to different clubs turning right different ways so just stay at what you've got if Z satin TPs. Kia Island is great fun! I just shot 32 there!

Doodles

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Thu, Dec 2 2010 6:54 AM

Why would anyone have a 2 iron, even G*d cant hit one. lol I missed a button sorry

i started hitting the flop when i first started, probably something the programmers may of factored in. I use it all the time. I have ditched all but the driver playing stroke, carry 4 wedges. except with blitz, its all irons and wedges, only seen 1 hole longer than 205. It gives me coverage from 7 yards. all the way to 205. works for me.

Keep it in the short stuff

Soup

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:25 AM

gsoup:

Why would anyone have a 2 iron, even G*d cant hit one. lol I missed a button sorry

Some real life players have a 1 iron.

Doodles

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Thu, Dec 9 2010 11:13 AM

Looks like this thread has come to an end. Lots of posts though!

Doodles

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Dec 9 2010 12:12 PM

I have a 2 iron and its my go to club when I dont need to hit anything longer then 250 off the tee.  Its also a great wind piercing club.

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Thu, Dec 9 2010 12:27 PM
    Long irons have fallen out of favor with the advent of the hybrids which are easier to hit especially out of the rough. Now most sets start with a 4 iron. I still have a 3 iron, used to hit a 1 iron when I was younger and had a little more clubhead speed. Neil is right about the benefit of a long iron in the wind. During my last trip to Scotland, I replaced one of my wedges with a 2 iron and used it off the tee a lot. More roll when needed and easy to keep under the wind.
  • borntobesting
    9,681 Posts
    Thu, Dec 9 2010 1:00 PM

SgtDoodles:

gsoup:

Some real life players have a 1 iron.

Doodles

I still carry my 1 iron and I hit it as well as ever. Some days when I can't hit anything else I can still hit my 1 iron. and gs it was Lee trevino who said  even G'd can't hit a 1 iron.

• borntobesting
    9,681 Posts
    Thu, Dec 9 2010 1:06 PM

mohuyu:

Longwedge:

" Thanks for the advise.  I had never tried doing 'punch' shots, and I think I know why.   After reading this I started a practice round.  On #2 on SA I had a 70 yard shot and tried the 70 yard punch with full spin... and it went 90 yards(granted, a lot of it was roll).  How much does the spin matter?  I've always tried to hit 'full' shots with spin around the greens until I read this, and figured I'd try to fill those gaps, as I seem to have a lot of shots between 30-50 yards."

70 yards out might be a bit too far out to try the punch...I stick to under 50 yards from the fairway, and under 65 yards from the rough.  If I'm in the fairway 70 yards out I can just pull out my full 75 yard wedge and make adjustments for wind and elevation from there.  But a punch shot from 50 yards with a wedge should just about stop dead on the green...mine always seems to.  Keep practicing it...

The flop is only good from  30 to 40 yards with the punch wedges I get 87 71 and 49  and 74 if I drop the 3 wood and add the 4th wedge which I do some at St..Andrews front 9.And sinceIi started using the punch with my wedges my average has dropped from a little over 70 to 65.95 

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Thu, Dec 9 2010 2:32 PM

borntobesting:

mohuyu:

Longwedge:

The flop is only good from  30 to 40 yards with the punch wedges I get 87 71 and 49  and 74 if I drop the 3 wood and add the 4th wedge which I do some at St..Andrews front 9.And sinceIi started using the punch with my wedges my average has dropped from a little over 70 to 65.95 

I meant punch ... typo'd that

RSS