Forums

Help › Forums

The 30 yard dilemma - now the 57 yard dilemma

Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:53 PM (57 replies)
  • SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Fri, Nov 26 2010 1:05 PM

I've now been playing for a while longer and have got some better wedges and a way better iron set. I completely rely on flop shots from any position except for 1ft off the green and then I use a chip. You're advice has mainly been useless. Thanks for your time anyway. I never knew a punch shot with a wedge could be so good!

Doodles

• Todibus
    105 Posts
    Fri, Nov 26 2010 3:51 PM

Re: flop shots.  I use them a lot, find they're fairly accurate for distance (taking into account elevation and slope of green).  I think it was YankeeJim on a different thread who taught me a great tip for flop shots - aim straight for where you want to land the shot and then "ding" on the first line to the left of the center line (doesn't work from the bunker for some reason) - the shot flies straight!

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Nov 26 2010 4:41 PM

SgtDoodles:

You're advice has mainly been useless. 

Doodles

I can only assume you're taking the piss or nuts. The advice was useless in so much as you now play punched shots and rely on the flop heavily too, lol......Good one.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Nov 27 2010 8:56 AM

tiffer67:

SgtDoodles:

You're advice has mainly been useless. 

Doodles

I can only assume you're taking the piss or nuts. The advice was useless in so much as you now play punched shots and rely on the flop heavily too, lol......Good one.

MAINLY useless not all useless! E.g. that guy who told me to spend 600 credits to get 3 wedges.

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Sat, Nov 27 2010 12:44 PM

a tricky shot indeed...speshly with tight landing spots....avoid at all costs!!!

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sat, Nov 27 2010 6:24 PM

jakestanfill7:

Flop shots are a last resort for me.  I look to hole shots within 60 yards and flops are too hard to gauge direction.  Previous posters are right....learn those punch shots for in between yardages.  Same drill around the green.  I try to pitch or chip whenever I can.  Flop is the last shot I look to but many times it's the only one that will work.  With over 500 holed approaches only about 15 have come on flop shots.  Probably 350+ of them were pitches, chips, or punches.

Setting your bag up properly is crucial.  For me there is no better set up than the Ping Master wedges.

Including PW- Full shots 115 105 85 60

Punch shot 98 87 71 49

Pitch 39 34 25 17

Flop 39 29 19

Chip 21 17 12 7

Full array is 115 105 98 87 85 71 60 49 39 34 29 25 19 17 12 7.....not many yardage gaps with this set up.

Thanks for the advise.  I had never tried doing 'punch' shots, and I think I know why.   After reading this I started a practice round.  On #2 on SA I had a 70 yard shot and tried the 70 yard punch with full spin... and it went 90 yards(granted, a lot of it was roll).  How much does the spin matter?  I've always tried to hit 'full' shots with spin around the greens until I read this, and figured I'd try to fill those gaps, as I seem to have a lot of shots between 30-50 yards.

• dickie40
    37 Posts
    Sat, Nov 27 2010 11:28 PM

gsoup

Where did u get your 2 iron?

• borntobesting
    9,681 Posts
    Sun, Nov 28 2010 2:10 AM

gsoup probably meant 3 iron as there is no 2 iron in WGT.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2010 7:36 PM

" Thanks for the advise.  I had never tried doing 'punch' shots, and I think I know why.   After reading this I started a practice round.  On #2 on SA I had a 70 yard shot and tried the 70 yard punch with full spin... and it went 90 yards(granted, a lot of it was roll).  How much does the spin matter?  I've always tried to hit 'full' shots with spin around the greens until I read this, and figured I'd try to fill those gaps, as I seem to have a lot of shots between 30-50 yards."

70 yards out might be a bit too far out to try the punch...I stick to under 50 yards from the fairway, and under 65 yards from the rough.  If I'm in the fairway 70 yards out I can just pull out my full 75 yard wedge and make adjustments for wind and elevation from there.  But a punch shot from 50 yards with a wedge should just about stop dead on the green...mine always seems to.  Keep practicing it...

• flagpro
    20 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2010 11:54 PM
    use the 60 yd'r and go half-way with the meter.Its all about wind speeds,green speeds,incline,or downhill greens.And if thats not good enough,then make your adjustments accordingly.I have a taylor made 54 degree wedge,on pitch shot it hits 27,now you got too account for green roll.best thing do is screw around with different shots and youll come up with right combinations.
RSS