Help › Forums

The Open 2015 at St. Andrews

Mon, Jul 20 2015 8:34 PM (370 replies)
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:13 AM

Stobsbee:

Statement released at 08:00

Gordon Moir, the head greenkeeper at St Andrews, says that the Old Course fairways are likely to need over an hour to dry out and become playable - that's when the rain stops. Another heavy shower is expected shortly, with the dark clouds expected to pass *fingers crossed* by 10:00 BST.

Watching it live.......goodness me!!!!....BBC commentators & host said they have never seen so much water in those ridges and of course not on the course.

I think again about luck when playing championships like this where weather plays a huge role in the players performance. Who gets the best out of this mess?, the later starters?, just pure luck I guess.

Will all players finish the second round today?, what would happen if they cannot finish it because of darkness or thunderstorms?

Someone should send all that water to Chambers instead!!!!

Eric

EDIT: official news, game STARTS/RESUME at 10 am local time (in about 45 min) : )))

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:19 AM

News flash ... play is expected to resume at 10:00 a.m. local time (STA) ... that's about 45 minutes from now ...

EDIT: Ninja Eric posts first ...

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:21 AM

Does anybody knows if the game was stopped while players were on course or no players had tee off at all today?

Eric

edit....the game is delayed 3 hours, so I believe some late starters will not finish their rounds., What would happen then?

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:27 AM

I don't think anyone had started Eric ... and the usual process is that anyone who can't complete their Friday round will have to complete it Saturday morning ... so we won't know what the cut line is till Saturday sometime most probably.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,570 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:33 AM

Mark O'Meara ' s group teed off but 14 minutes later the course was closed. They did not complete the first hole.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:37 AM

donsprintr:

I don't think anyone had started Eric ... and the usual process is that anyone who can't complete their Friday round will have to complete it Saturday morning ... so we won't know what the cut line is till Saturday sometime most probably.

LOL...what a mess, at this pace we will have to send the prizes first by tuesday morning when the championship is finally finished!!

Eric

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:38 AM

oneeyedjohn:

Mark O'Meara ' s group teed off but 14 minutes later the course was closed. They did not complete the first hole.

Ok, do they play their balls from the position they left?

Eric

• Stobsbee
    4,784 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:43 AM

Yes Eric. They continue from where they were when play was suspended.

David Rickman, the R&A's head of rules, on BBC Two: "Staff have cleared a lot of the water so the course should be playable. Two groups already started when play was stopped just after 6:30am, one on the first fairway, and one on the green. So those who started will replace their balls and carry on from there.

"Golfers will have to play the ball as it lies but the casual water rule will apply. So players have free relief if their ball or their stance is in the water."

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:46 AM

LOLserver:

Ok, do they play their balls from the position they left?

Eric

it's up to the tournament committee.

a women's tournament was started in poor conditions and it was decided that play would be stopped and all scores cancelled

the first group here have marked their balls on the green, so i expect them to carry on

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:47 AM

Stobsbee:

Yes Eric. They continue from where they were when play was suspended.

David Rickman, the R&A's head of rules, on BBC Two: "Staff have cleared a lot of the water so the course should be playable. Two groups already started when play was stopped just after 6:30am, one on the first fairway, and one on the green. So those who started will replace their balls and carry on from there.

"Golfers will have to play the ball as it lies but the casual water rule will apply. So players have free relief if their ball or their stance is in the water."

Thanks m8, as clear as all the bloody water on the course ; )))

Eric

RSS