Forums

Help › Forums

56's on congressional

Sun, May 22 2011 2:43 PM (85 replies)
  • TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 9:57 AM

Gutterguy you need to look at your club set up. Dump the putter you have and get a redwood, thats 2+ shots a round saved there. Also look at the rest of your set up, you need to get rid of the hybrid and get another wedge. The hybrid is great and everyone on this site would carry it if possible but they dont. There are 5 or 6 holes where you have wedges into the green to set up birdies, it is essential that you make those shots stick.

Guys may be making these low scores at the moment but we are used to playing tougher conditions i e heavy winds and lightening greens. If you know how far your club goes, know how much elevation affects your shot, how the wind affects the ball over distance, are hitting the ball straight (my problem) and making the putts from within 15ft you are going to go low.

However the way this course is set up is easy at the moment. As soon as you start to play medium, or god forbid high winds this is going to be a completely different kettle of fish. The rough is severe for one. There are also some very tempting shots at flags at the moment which while the wind is low you are happy to take on, this will change.

The other thing is the putting, I dont think I have had a straight putt on the course yet, when they speed them up its going to be fun and games.

Once the wind goes up and the greens speed, 64 ish is going to be an excellent score.

• chunkNskull
    416 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 10:23 AM

To me the toughest holes on the front 9 are #2-4. If you get lucky (or restart enough times) and score well on these, the rest of the front 9 can be approached with wedges. I got lucky and birdied 2-4 yesterday, and so I proceeded to birdie the rest with a chip-in eagle for a -10. (see the scorecard in my profile.) I've only played the back 9 a couple of times, and with the added pressure of the -10, I managed only 4 more birds for a 57. Now, I'm only a mediocre player. If I can shoot 57 at my best, the best players can shoot in the low 50's in their sleep. Just give it a few more days, and you'll see. But you are right, putting is important. I only had 19 putts in that round. But with many holes that can be approached with a wedge, most of these putts are not that long. Just keep trying.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 10:50 AM

Paul is right about club selection .. i'd hate to play this with the Raptures.   Even the G10's are a stretch for a low score (for me).   Also these are mini-golf conditions for the good Legend s (not me obviously).

The other thing I forgot to mention is Focus.   I shot 64 yesterday .. and started with 4 birdies and an eagle on the first 5 holes.   (Yes I birdied #4 a few times now) .. and hit in from the fairway for eagle on #5.   -6 after 5 holes.   I was ready for the big one ......... and then it happened.

Caught rough on the left on 6 ... an easy birdie/eagle hole ... had a meter stutter for the birdie .. made par and struggled with 2 birdies and 1 bbogey somewhere along the line and finished with a 64 .. the wheels just came off.

It's hard to shoot low .. but it can be done.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 11:52 AM

Gutterguy:
    Im not just crying over sour grapes here.  It isn't fair.

Actually, you are - with the right equipment and knowledge, it's very fair.

Gutterguy:
    I have tried and tried and tried and I cant get any ower than 65.  you explain it to me, ok.  59, ya right..  Like someone else said, I'd love to watch it happen as i too am convinced it is not possible.

Like the slithery one likes to say... So, since you can't do it, anyone that can must be cheating.   Sorry, but you're just not that good, neither am I, but that's besides the point. 

Here's how I got my 59...  I played a lot, maybe not as much as you, but a lot.  I had birdied every hole and eagled #6 3 times, so I knew it was possible to go low.  Took mental notes(too lazy to write it down) as to where I needed to put the ball to score.  Then it was just a matter of executing the shots and a little luck.

Take a look at my history, if I could just do it at will, I certainly wouldn't have wasted as much time as I did to do it.  So yes, it is possible to shoot in the 50's, even for us average persistent guys. 

Gutterguy:
    I miss putts buy 2 and 4 inches regularily. 

OK, here's a little putting advise I've gotten in the forums...  If you have a severe downhill breaker, try purposely missing against the break.  It's amazing how many long putts I've made doing this - way more than when I try to ding the line.  Good Luck...

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 12:19 PM

MBaggese:

hooks4u2:

I would love to see with my own eyes how someone could shoot those low scores. Would someone please share the cheat with me, or at least have someone video you while your playing the game and post it . That,s 1 instructional video i,d love to have....... sorry if i offended anyones integrity.

Yes, I'll share...

Play, play, play.

There's your cheat.

You whinny bi tchy babies...geez, I played the course 3 times with starter balls and went 71, 67, 64.

Whiney ;little babies crying cheat.

Give me a break.

Oh...need a tissue?

You need to climb back in your bag.

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 12:21 PM

Mem11:

Gutterguy:
    I miss putts buy 2 and 4 inches regularily. 

OK, here's a little putting advise I've gotten in the forums...  If you have a severe downhill breaker, try purposely missing against the break.  It's amazing how many long putts I've made doing this - way more than when I try to ding the line.  Good Luck...

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding...pun intended! Careful Mem' you're giving trade secrets!..;)

• dscroggs4
    113 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 12:22 PM

Equipment is huge....I haven't purchased new clubs in well over a year in this game and am still using the Raptures....and the R9.. I will say with these clubs i think the max is about 59.... i posted a 62....and made a bogey and missed 2 putts inside 12 feet....  people aren't cheating as much as the lame O's out there wanna repeat it over and over...they just simply play perfect....  I find new things on this course every round or 2....   For those whining ..... u aren't being forced to play here.... move on find somewhere else to complain.  If you want to spend the money to get the best equipment and put in the time to perfect the game like the guru's have.... well then you'll see just how good they are ...

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 12:36 PM

lvietri:

Caught rough on the left on 6 ... an easy birdie/eagle hole ... had a meter stutter for the birdie .. made par and struggled with 2 birdies and 1 bbogey somewhere along the line and finished with a 64 .. the wheels just came off.

It's hard to shoot low .. but it can be done

...."somewhere along the line"....Man, and I thought it was just me!  

• Heisman12
    102 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 2:32 PM

Gutterguy:
    Look up my stats.

I did.  You drive accurately and your GIR % is good.  However, your scrambling and sand save %'s are not good, nor do you make a high enough percentage of first putts, at least compared to the players posting the scores you think are impossible.

Gutterguy:
    This must mean that all of thier putts go in.

Not all, but quite a few go in with these easy greens.  Not only are the wind conditions is this tourney really easy, meaning easy approaches and short putts, but the speed is significantly slower than normal legend greens.

I've only played the qualifying tourney a few times (have posted a 62), but came away thinking that this was a very easy course to score on.  And I'm NOT one of the legend names you see at the top of the leaderboards every week.  I'll be disappointed if I can't put up a sub-60 score in these conditions.  With normal legend conditions, I expect to shoot my normal 64-68.

In other words:

1.  Yes, some of these guys/gals really are THAT good.

2.  The conditions are really easy for the qualifying tourney.

3.  You, like me, have room for improvement.

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2011 3:09 PM

You got it lou, absolutely hit the nail on the head, focus is everything. You need to have worked out the game first but it is then the ability to apply that knowledge and focus totally for an hour. I have lapses and that is one thing I have always admired in tibs, lee and BB, being able to concentrate so intensely for a long period of time and not make mistakes, even under pressure.

RSS