Forums

Help › Forums

2010 WMPL Champion: werksux!!

Fri, Jul 9 2010 12:41 PM (326 replies)
  • werksux
    241 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 6:37 AM

It's all coming down to the wire!  G/L everyone!

• ckiniry
    16 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 6:06 AM

Hats off to Kobalt!! Who bested me 0n hole 7 of sudden death. What alot of fun!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 11:43 PM

WMPL Power Rankings Through Week 13 have been released.  I'm skipping the usual fanfare this week since we had that extra week down in between.  I believe that tends to interrupt the flow of the week to week rankings so I'll come back with that next week.

The one postponed  Week 13 match between Claremoreblue and tograss was made up today.  Standings & playoff picture have been updated to reflect current results.  Strength of Schedule & Power Rankings will catch up on that next week.

Also, as of this moment St. Andrews is now a selectable course for the duration of the season, including the rest of Week 14 and the playoffs.

• villadeoro
    419 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 2:11 PM

Hi to all! This week i play with Plim (great player), and he have to play in not good conditions, sorry my friend. He was working 12 hours before our match and i dont like beat you in this conditions. Sorry again and all the best for you my friend!!!!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 12:12 AM

The WMPL has officially rolled over to Week 15!  The SOS report through Week 14 has been released and the newest power rankings will be out Tuesday night.

The WMPL Playoff Picture Through Week 14 is now available.  A small shakeup at the top in the International Conference last week thanks to cappiest claiming a big upset over Avatarlee.  As a result of that match, TallAcePaul reclaims the top seed in the conference for now.  Only 1 game back is #2 coolswing and #3 Avatarlee who dropped below coolswing thanks to a heads-up loss earlier in the season.  Vares improves his overall record to 10-4 overall and has a chance to move up a little further if he can win his final two matches and see a few upsets of the top seeds in the process. paulmcm still hangs on to the #5 position, but is locked into the playoffs thanks to his 2-game lead and tiebreaker advantage over 7-7 tograssvilladeoro still holds the final spot in the conference at the moment, but he controls his own fate.  He can clinch the last wildcard spot with a win this week.

Over in the National Conference the order is exactly the same as last week. BolloxInBruges has a firm grasp on the #1 spot at 13-1 and has already guaranteed himself a first round bye. Kosei82 remains in the #2 spot and also has clinched a first-round bye at 12-2. werksux still remains in the #3 spot, but only holds a one game margin over claremoreblue going into the final two weeks.  ckiniry is clinging to the #4 position and the division lead in the East.  He currently holds the tiebreaker edge over pricehcs despite matching 8-6 records. DougBieker checks in again at the #5 wildcard position at 9-5 and claremoreblue at 8-6 is holding steady in the final spot.

Playoff Outlook:

Congratulations to Vares who has clinched the International South Division Title.  Currently 10-4, Vares held off a mid-season charge from division foe tograss to secure his spot in the playoffs.  Currently the #4 seed, but he could move up to a first-round bye if he wins both of his remaining matches and both coolswing or AvatarLee lose 1 of their 2 remaining matches.

Congratulations to paulmcm who has clinched an International Conference   wildcard berth.  Despite a rocky 1-3 start to the season, paulmcm rebounded to take the W in 8 of his next 10 matches.  Even though he has clinched a spot he'll want to play sharp for the next 2 weeks to ensure he does not slip down to the #6 spot which will earn him a tougher first round opponent in the playoffs.

Congratulations to Kosei82 and BolloxInBruges who have clinched both of the first round byes in the National Conference.  They have both had strong seasons and have emerged as the clear contenders in the conference.  BolloxInBruges can clinch home-course advantage throughout the conference playoffs with a win this week against MacGilicuddy.

There are lots of playoff spots and division titles left to be decided in the National Conference as the East and West divisions each have three players contending for the division title and wildcard spots.  At this point in the season we still have 8 players (ckiniry, pricehcs, marioh, werksux, claremoreblue, lilrob88, bryan24 & DougBieker) who have a realistic chance to contend for the remaining 4 playoff spots.  Things should really start to take shape after the results come in for this week and we should have a rather exciting conclusion to the regular season as these players battle it out for post-season rights.

In case you missed it the first time, St. Andrews is now available as a playable course for the duration of the season and the post-season. 

There's only 2 weeks to go before the conference playoffs begin on May 31st!

Good luck with your Week 15 matches!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 12:15 AM

WMPL Power Rankings Through Week 14!

The WMPL Power Rankings through Week 14 have been released!  The voters reach consensus on the #1 and #2 positions with BolloxInBruges and TallAcePaul respectively.  Kosei82 and coolswing both move up 1 position this week following Avatarlee's loss last week which drops him back 2 spots to round out your Top 5.

Biggest moves up the rankings this week:

Kobalt46 - Up 4 spots after an impressive win over division leader ckiniry

cappiest - Up 4 spots after the huge upset victory over AvatarLee

bryan24 - Up 3 spots to #16 and has won 5 of his last 7 matches

Biggest drops in the rankings this week:

Zippy-Pivot - down 5 spots after dropping 2 in a row

ckiniry - down 3 spots to #13 after a tough loss to division foe Kobalt46

marioh - down 3 spots after a tough outing against pricehcs

Who to watch out for:

The spotlight for the final two weeks currently rests on 8 players in the National Conference: ckiniry, pricehcs, marioh, lilrob88, DougBieker, werksux, claremoreblue & bryan24.  8 players, 4 playoff spots and 2 weeks to decide who's in and who's out.

ckiniry & pricehcs are tied atop the National East division and will play against each other in Week 16.  That final matchup could end up deciding division titles and possibly even playoff life.  marioh still lies in wait, mathematically alive for the wildcard if he can win his next 2 matches, but will need a lot of help from other players if he's going to make it through. 

lilrob88 & DougBieker are also involved in the wildcard battle since their divisions have already been won.  lilrob88 needs a pair of wins to have a chance at the wildcard, but will also need losses from other wildcard contenders to qualify.  DougBieker is in the most precarious position at the moment.  He's 9-5 and controls his own destiny meaning he only needs to win one of the two games to secure a wildcard position, but standing in his way are BolloxInBruges & Kosei82 with a grand total of 3 losses between them all season.  Losing to both players doesn't guarantee that DougBieker will miss the playoffs, but at 9-7 he could be very vulnerable and in danger of slipping out in the final hours due to tiebreaker scenarios.

The West division is a tight race as well with claremoreblue only 1 game behind division leader werksuxbryan24 is only 2 games back at 7-7 and though a run at the division title may be a long shot, he can threaten for a wildcard spot if he can win both of his remaining matches to improve to 9-7 and if he can get a little help elsewhere.

villadeoro will be looking to clinch the final International Conference Wild Card with a win this week.  Though the International playoff contenders are pretty much set the final seeds and first round byes have yet to be determined so there is still much to be decided there. The final 2 games carry much importance for any player looking to secure home course advantage or a first round bye in the conference.

So many scenarios can play out in the National Conference in these final two weeks and unfortunately I don't have enough sportswriters to lay them all out.  Suffice it to say, the drama surrounding the playoffs is about as good as it's going to get with 8 players contending for only 4 positions and the finish to the WMPL regular season should indeed be an exciting one!

Enjoy!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, May 24 2010 12:34 AM

The final week is here!  It's been a long and grueling season the past 16 weeks.  Over 225 matches have been played this season including 4 weeks of qualifying back in the early part of the year. I wanted to take a second to thank all of the players for making it this far, especially those who may have been eliminated from the playoffs already.  Your sportsmanship and character are what made this league great.

I've always said that the best tournaments are made by the players, not the organizers and this one has proven to be no different.  Thank you all for making the WMPL a reality and for turning into such a huge success!

The WMPL has officially rolled over to Week 16! 

The WMPL Playoff Picture Through Week 15 is now available.  However, this time we will dispense with the usual formalities and get right down to business.  Here are the remaining playoff scenarios and how things could play out:

International Conference:

#1, #2 and #3 Seeds:  coolswing can clinch the #1 seed and Home Course Advantage with a win in Week 16.  AvatarLee can clinch the #1 seed with a win and a coolswing loss.  TallAcePaul can clinch the #1 seed with a win if coolswing and Avatarlee both suffer a loss this week.

#4 Seed: Vares is not quite locked into the #4 seed and can actually move up to the #1 seed if he can win his last match AND AvatarLee, coolswing, & TallAcePaul all lose in the final week.

#5 Seed (1st Wild Card): paulmcm is locked into the first wildcard position and will be on the road against the #4 seed in the first week of the playoffs.  paulmcm cannot lose this position thanks to wins over both tograss and villadeoro earlier in the season.

#6 Seed (2nd Wild Card): villadeoro controls his own destiny.  He only has to win his final match to clinch the final spot.  tograss will clinch the final spot if he can win his last match and villadeoro loses his.  If the players are tied in the standings after this week the nod will go to villadeoro by virtue of his Week 10 head-to-head win over tograss.

National Conference:

#1 Seed: BolloxInBruges has clinched Home Course Advantage throughout the National Conference playoffs and a first-round bye.

#2 Seed: Kosei82 is locked into the #2 seed no matter what happens this week.  He will sit back and enjoy a first-round bye as well.

#3 Seed: werksux will lock up the #3 spot with a win in the final week.  A loss this week could drop him to #4 if pricehcs defeats ckiniry.

#4 Seed: Will go to the winner of the pricehcs / ckiniry match this week.  A pricehcs win combined with a werksux loss will propel price to the #3 spot.  ckiniry can only clinch the 4th spot with a win.  A pricehcs loss will put price on playoff life support and he will need either DougBieker or claremoreblue to lose their remaining matches.  ckiniry cannot miss the playoffs, but can drop all the way down to #6 with a loss.

#5 & #6 Seeds (1st & 2nd Wild Cards): DougBieker can lock up the first wildcard if he can win one of his two remaining games, but that might be a tall order considering his opponents.  He has his Week 15 match against Kosei82 still to make up and he will take on BolloxInBruges later this week.  If DougBieker loses both of his matches he will miss the playoffs if claremoreblue & pricehcs win their games.  claremoreblue is out of the playoffs if he loses.  The duck needs a win in his final match and 2 losses from DougBieker to make the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure these are not the ONLY scenarios that could happen in the National Conference so please allow some lee-way for the fact that I may not have considered every mathematical possibility, but I'm pretty sure these are the key scenarios.

There's only 1 week to go before the conference playoffs begin on May 31st!

Please be sure to enjoy your final regular season match-up this week.  Good luck with your  Week 16 matches and good luck to all players still hoping to make the playoffs!

**NOTE** ALL Week 16 matches must be completed by Sunday May 30th!  Unplayed Week 16 matches will not have time to be made up and will be subject to a decision!  The schedule is already set and we will be steamrolling right along into the playoffs after this week.  There are no time for postponements, so please, make it your final mission to get all of this week's matches in the books.

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 12:11 PM

Hi All

Just finished off the regular season with a really enjoyable game with plim, as always.

I am going to be on holiday for the whole of next week so could seve you please beat lee this week or pralaya could you give cool a good kicking so I am not messing up the schedule :o

Good luck all in your remaining matches(apart from lee and cool of course) ;))

• paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Wed, May 26 2010 1:58 AM

Hi Niv,

Can you just double check this as i've not played villadeoro in the regular season.

#5 Seed (1st Wild Card): paulmcm is locked into the first wildcard position and will be on the road against the #4 seed in the first week of the playoffs.  paulmcmcannot lose this position thanks to wins over both tograss and villadeoro earlier in the season.

• villadeoro
    419 Posts
    Wed, May 26 2010 5:34 AM

paulmcm get reason Niv. We dont play in regular season, i dont know what happend if we tied but for this i need to win my match and paulmcm lose yours. Thanks paulmcm for this post

RSS