Forums

Help › Forums

25K Credit Reward Up for Grabs

Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:20 PM (136 replies)
  • jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:49 AM

Here's the deal.  I'm offering up 25k credits to the person who can help solve the riddle that is WGT's ridiculous swing meter.  Might even be a little bonus on top of that if person can achieve perfect meter.  1k credits just for trying even if we can't fix it.

Here's what you're working with

• Meter stable enough to shoot 26 one round then the very next I might have 10 spikes or freezes per side.
    • Computer runs every program and game under the sun like a dream except for WGT
    • HP Pavilion dv71267cl laptop.
      • AMD Turion Dual Core 2.2ghz processor
      • 4 gigs RAM
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit OS
      • ATI Radeon HD 3200 mobility graphics card
      • All drivers up to date
      • Firefox is the only browser that is remotely playable.  Every other browser (Chrome, Comodo, Iron, Opera, etc) all bounce like hell the whole way down the meter.

Here's what I am looking for

• Someone who can dial into my system
    • Take a look at programs and services to see what I can get rid of
    • Examine AMD Catalyst Control Center to ensure that my system is recognizing it properly.  For some reason any change I make in the CCC makes little or no difference in game play.
    • Make necessary tweaks (overclocking acceptable if you know what you're doing) to gain a stable meter (no more than one meter bobble per 9 holes).  Currently average about 6-7 bobbles per side.

Here's what I need from you before we start

• Brief explanation or synopsis of your qualifications and computer expertise.
    • Post here or on my wall.

I'll pick whoever I feel is the best candidate and keep y'all updated on progress.  First person might not be able to solve the riddle and I'm willing to give a few people a shot.

I was thinking of offering a 100k credit reward if someone could hack WGT's system and crash it until they start communicating what they are doing to achieve a more stable meter but I figured that might no go over too well.  So no reward for crashing the site but I certainly wouldn't persuade anyone against it. :)

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:53 AM

Here are speed test results as well.  Cable internet with fastest connection available here in Athens GA.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 8:12 AM

Good luck Jake, I'm sure you will get a response or two!

Only difference in your LT and mine, is my processor is 2.1 and I'm running 64 bit W7

Our speeds are about the same, what is your ping time?  IIRC mine is usually 26-27ms.

Also, I run through a wireless router...when I plug directly into the modem, my DL speed doubles , don't recall what the UL and Ping do(suspect ping would not  change)

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 8:33 AM

Here is ping test.  A quality and no packet loss so I can only assume that connectivity is not the issue.

• jasonblair
    6 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 9:01 AM

That's odd. Our speeds are fairly similar with my upload being only a little slower. I've tried WGT in many browsers and found chrome is the best for me. Yet you said for yourself its nearly unplayable. I rarely have an issue with the bar, beyond an occasional stutter. The only thing i can think of is maybe your trying to run too many programs while playing the game? Good luck in resolving your issues

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 9:08 AM

Not looking for the reward here. Just offering a little advice. My system is WAY inferior to yours, and I seldom have meter burps. I use a wired connection exclusively. As mentioned earlier, that might help.

I'm assuming you've cleared cache. If not, easiest way to do it is go here.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

find media5.wgt and remove it.

One that I learned of only yesterday. While in game, right click screen. Click Settings. Open yellow folder. Move slider to 10 - maybe more. This setting sticks, but I'm unsure if it survives a cache clean. 

Since it seems to be intermittent albeit persistent, it could be background interference. When it happens, bring up task manager and check what processes are going on. Research apparent candidates. It's possible that some autoupdates are the culprits. Virus protection, MS, etc.

Good Luck.

Later edit: Your sys is probably new enough that the following isn't a problem, but I'll mention it anyway. Registry errors could be a problem. A while back I bought UniBlue's program. It fixed up my old XP-Pro in a flash. Everything benefited. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 9:33 AM

Jake-I've always considered you computer literate and figured you went down just about every path you could in your quest. The whole time you've had your problem, I haven't had hardly any. I say hardly because sometimes I get caught by surprise, like when Windows updates, or something like that. I would love to have a convo with you PM style because I think I can help and it wouldn't involve high tech fixes.

I've done it a couple of times with other players with modest success. I would do this just to see you rock and roll.  :-)

*Edit-FWIW, I don't think ISP/server speeds are causing the problems you describe.

Quick FAQ on benefits of 64 bit system.

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 9:37 AM

WOOO HOOOO!!!!!

Local test

Pingtest to East Coast servers

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:04 AM

YankeeJim:

*Edit-FWIW, I don't think ISP/server speeds are causing the problems you describe.

Quick FAQ on benefits of 64 bit system.

I agree Jim.

in the FWIT department I think the majority of the meter problems are twofold.

In my own experience Flash is a WELL KNOWN memory and CPU bandwidth hog!

Combine that with an inferior mouse and you have a recipe for meter failure.

I have been fighting meter issues since I started here same as the rest of you. It comes and goes, no pattern, can't get it to stabilize.

I had been using a Logitech wireless programmable mouse for years (Even played World of Warcraft and Call of Duty with no problems) so I thought try a wired mouse, no luck.

So here is the issue as I have come to understand it.

The polling rate on the mouse and the CPU bandwidth required by flash create a conflict and the result is a jittery meter. 

The solution for me was $35 Logitech gaming mouse, the G400 and Logitech Gaming software.

I have the mouse setup in the software for 400DPI resolution and the polling rate set to 1000.

I have been using this mouse for almost 2 weeks now and have not had a single meter issue.

Not saying this would solve all the meter issues but it is one thing to look into.

And yes I do clear the cache, use Comodo exclusively for WGT, use Game Booster, close other browser windows, etc.....

and it was the Mouse that finally resolved my issues. 

RSS