Forums

Help › Forums

25K Credit Reward Up for Grabs

Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:20 PM (136 replies)
  • GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 6:10 PM

Danny: I put this post up a LONG LONG time ago and asked WGT to sticky it because I KNEW others had this issue. They decided not too for whatever reason but ere it is.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/7975.aspx

Jake, hop in IRC with me and I'll do my best to help you.

GD

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 6:38 PM

You guys rock.  Many thanks for all the responses.  Unfortunately most of the advice offered has already been tried, save for a gaming mouse with gaming software and Richard's suggestions on page 2.  Gonna try that first then maybe a new mouse.  I currently use a top of the line Logitech Performance MX anywhere mouse ($99).  I've always had a bobble or two but after update that gave us Royal St George performance immediately disintegrated. 

Here's what all I've tried.

1. After RSG update I have reformatted hard drive (3 times) and stripped all bloatware. 
    2. Only have game client open when I'm playing.  Couldn't imagine how bad it would be if I tried to do anything else.
    3. Dedicate Firefox solely for WGT.  IE for normal browsing and surfing.
    4. This is the only computer in the house so no other interference to bandwidth etc.
    5. Play the game on Low quality and still do.  All other options switched off.
    6. No plug ins or extensions on in FF other than Flash.
    7. Gamebooster.  No help.
    8. I run Advanced System Care.  Clean my computer regularly and defrag at least weekly.  Have tried Internet Booster, Turbo, and everything else in ASC but no reliable fix.
    9. Have tried every browser and iteration of current and old Flash but no help.
    10. No difference playing on wireless router or hardwired.  In fact I played the Final round of the November Fall Tour Championship hardwired and had 27 spikes.
    11. Tried adjusting resolution.  Blah.
    12. Have tried AVG, Norton, Avast and a couple other antivirus.  Currently running free Avast turned to silent mode.  I've even tried playing with no antivirus and Windows Firewall off but no help.
    13. Leatrix Latency Fix.  Did seem to help a tad.
    14. Every possible tweak to Catalyst Control Center but none seem to alter anything.  This makes me wonder if system is even recognizing CCC but don't know how to check that.
    15. Driver Wizard to ensure ALL drivers on system are current. 
    16. Used to play game client in regular browser window but for some reason about 3 weeks ago that became unplayable.  Meter bounces the whole way every single swing.  Uninstalled and reinstalled FF adn Flash but still the same.  Went back to game client pop up and meter was much better (meaning it didn't stutter the entire way) but still get 6 or so glitches per side.  Great round is only 2-3 spikes. 
    17. Tweaked Advanced options in FF to allow for larger cache.
    18. Windows Aero off.
    19. System adjusted to "Best Performance"
    20. Tried tweaking about:config in FF.   Details here under BStrippy's post.  http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/1710/7874.aspx#7874
    21. Any task is scheduled to run between 2-6am when I'm not playing.  I keep a close eye on processes and services but meter will fall apart mid round with same exact stuff running as when I started. 
    22. Change affinity settings to run off 1 processor.  Nada.
    23. Changed priority settings for FF and plug in container.  Nope.

Probably about 20 more that I have forgotten about but you can see great effort has been put forth.  Still don't understand how this system can run WoW and games that are much more intensive as I was told by techies.

We'll keep plugging away until we get this thing figured out.  For now I'll just keep feeling like Usain Bolt being told he made the Olympics but has to run with his shoes tied together.  :)

• paulshack
    281 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:14 PM

i havent read all threand and may not know the most. but your GHZ looks to be a bit low.. and memory(4gigs is low nowadays )

graphics card is kinda old too

i know my suggestion isnt the best.. all i can speak for is myself.. ican play wgt and run MULTIPLE TABS of youtube etc anything while doing so .. maybe one stutter a game ( if that)

my new computer has 12 gigs of ram and 2.93 ghz

gforce gtx 260 ( pretty good for gaming )

checked my ping it is 108...

i cant really help you, just letting you in on my deal...hope you find the help you need jake  but just sharing some information sir.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2012 1:49 AM

jakestanfill7:
    Here's the deal.

I think your credits are pretty safe. 

Not 1 single definitive thing will help YOUR swing meter.

There are far too many variables.

I personaly have a great swing meter.  have tweaked a couple of things, only get a slight stutter one in 15 - 20 games..   by now i recognise it early enough and am able to avoind the ding and have my shot again.

What 'i think'  finally worked for me, to get my meter now so consistent, was adjusting some registry network settings.

But all the usual,  avoiding IE, Clearing Caches, dedicated browser, cleaning system, updating drivers..made things better 

EXCEPT -  

disabling loops is useless
    thinning out friends list is pointless.
    shortcuts directly to game windows is superfluous (unless you are an IE die hard)

my specs:
    E8500 CD2 @3.17ghz - 3 yo?
    8GB DDR3 1333 Memory
    Win7 with all Aero and everything enabled. 
    Nvidia GTX560Ti (decent card)
    Samsung 22"  @ 1920 x 1080 

In the Blue Mountains of NSW Australia with ADSL1, only 8192/ 384 kbps 

I play WGT with:

Player animations Enabled
    Putting grid on
    Flash on HIGH
    Background Loading enabled

And like the user above, I check email, play music, do surveys all other kinds of things in the Bg while playing.

jakestanfill7:
    Meter stable enough to shoot 26

I'm not good enough, yet,  to shoot this , so i am automatically exempt from your reward.

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:19 AM

SHRUDE:

I personaly have a great swing meter. 

shrude, as you have this, could i ask a favour.

could you put up a video on somewhere like youtube.

i want to compare yours to mine ( inserts jokes here ).

a short video showing the full swing on the tee, no need to hit the balls.

if able to do this, could you use unlimited balls, take a swing with putter, wedges, an iron, a driver.

and again if poss, do you still own L79 burners, any lower level drivers ?

thanks in advance.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:24 AM

Jake, i have 2 cpu's, a top spec one and a 5hit one.  At present i'm using the 5hit one as there is no difference really.  Its an Asus dual core (AMD) with 1 GIG ram (yes 1 GIG), NO GRAPHICS CARD, and i honestly say i get what you would call a "great" round every time, 2 spikes MAX!  Its same results on my top spec studio cpu with 4 GIG, i5 processor and Radeon 1 gig graphics Becuae both cpu's are exactly the same game wise i'm able to dedicate the decent cpu for my techno producing, and the *** cpu just for golf.  I have 6.9 m.b.s internet speed, dont use gamebooster (waste of time), and the only time i get more than 2 spikes is if my daughters using her laptop aswell.

I'm running XP though, not windows 7.  Have you tried partitioning your cpu with windows xp just for this game?

I'm even able to run the game in high quality, have everything excpet flag animation & reflectiones turned on. All this with 1 GIG & no graphics card.  Scraping the minimum requirments, but gameplay is perfect.  2 spikes per round max, but some rounds are totally smooth.  Chrome gives me most spikes, comodo not that better, firefox as you use too is best.

• Rishirocks
    88 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:50 AM

If you have trouble reading this because it is too small, click on the image. Then hold your control key down while scrolling with your scroll button in the middle of your mouse. One way will make the image larger and the other will make it smaller. Make it large enough that you can read. By the way, this works on any page you are on.

Hope this helps and is this good enough for the 25k? Also cause the picture is cut in half right click it and click open in new tab.

• Rishirocks
    88 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:56 AM

If this doesn't work then go to command prompt. The type in IPCONFIG and tell me your IP address and then maybe I can get my friend (who is awesome with computers) to help.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:12 AM

This is insane. I joined WGT in May of 2009. I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop with the then current 2.2GHz cpu and 4 GB RAM. I opened the box, plugged it in, addressed the msconfig file like I laid out here  (over 2 years ago!!) and have been playing ever since on it, without a single thing done that's been laid out in this thread.

I've experienced the evolution of the meter to the point where it is now-pretty much faultless for me. I can't tell you the last time I experienced a stall or skip or zoomer or whatever you want to call it. You all are so deep into the forest you can't see which way to go to get out. 

Now I ask you all, what the hell makes my computer so friggin special that I don't have to do anything like what's been posted here? 

My advice to you, Jake, is get your msconfig file cleaned up (absolute no-brainer), look at going to the 64 bit version of Windows 7 (64 bit systems handle large amounts of RAM better) and dedicate Comodo Dragon to the game. Period. Get to that point and then see what happens. I'll be a monkey's uncle if it doesn't make your game more playable than it's ever been. For reference here's what my msconfig file looks like.

There are some serious smart minds at work here. A lot of you have tremendous knowledge about stuff that the basic user would be totally baffled by. I consider myself a basic user and have learned a ton of stuff just reading the offered fixes. I also ignore them because I don't need them. Someone explain that to me, please.

This is not an in-your-face, ha ha my meter's perfect post. It's simply my frustration at reading the ridiculous lengths players go to to have a decent meter when some very simple steps will get you there. If your system is marginal I could see having to jump through the hoops that Andyson likes to talk about to get a decent meter. Jake's system isn't marginal.

• misstery
    705 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:18 AM

I have a razor deathadder mouse.

what does the dpi and poll rate adjust?

RSS