Forums

Help › Forums

25K Credit Reward Up for Grabs

Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:20 PM (136 replies)
  • cm68
    892 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2012 6:45 PM

Firstly I'd like to say that there is a hell a lot of great advice offered, that would benifiet most people with the day to day running of their computers, and a huge thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

With over 25yrs of knowledge and experience in the IT indtrusty myself, it's good to see people willing to share.  In my early years as a 'computer nerd', I spent a lot of my time configuring games and systems for people because no one knew how to make them work. Hacking as most would have called it became a way of life for some of us.

Having read about 75% of the posts in this, thread now, I am amazed that NOT ONE of you have touched on the most basic and logical reason for the shitty meter and it;s eratic behavour.

Stop and think for a second... we are all playing an ON-LINE game!

So with that one little statement in mind, what does this tell us???

Answer:  We are all playing, and therefore downloading/uploading the game content and everything that makes the game what it is, from the same server.

Reality check... this means we must SHARE the limitted resources being presented by the server(s) hosting the game.  The more people on-line - the less of a slice of the pie we all get.  The smaller the peice - the slower the responce times - the slower the game play & apparent reactive responce/refresh times.

Also, consider that for all non US countries, there is generally only a limitted amount of bandwith servicing their connection to the web, and there are times (local times) when the financial community seem to absorb the bulk of this in order to move funds etc all over the world.

And one final point to remember in all of this... IT'S ONLY A GAME!

Cheers and enjoy the site for what it is, cm68.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2012 7:07 PM

cm68:
    Reality check... this means we must SHARE the limitted resources being presented by the server(s) hosting the game.  The more people on-line - the less of a slice of the pie we all get.  The smaller the peice - the slower the responce times - the slower the game play & apparent reactive responce/refresh times.

cm68:
    Having read about 75% of the posts in this, thread now, I am amazed that NOT ONE of you have touched on the most basic and logical reason for the shitty meter and it;s eratic behavour.

As I understand it, and assuming I am correct, WGT downloads the hole to your computer, once download is complete, you play your shot.

How does anything  you mention above affect my shot if it is already downloaded to my computer?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2012 7:33 PM

The game is rendered on your individual computer. Load times do not affect the meter, they simply slow down the game. Meter issues are not from the server side. 25 years in the IT business should tell you that.

• cm68
    892 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2012 7:45 PM

Okay, consider this then... I take my shot and before i release the mouse the session disconnects. When i reconnect, the shot is played, saved and ready for the next???

This tells me the server is doing more than just rendering the hole to my system.

Yes, I gree the hole is rendered, but I as with most on-line games, you are still connected and having data streamed from a server.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2012 7:57 PM

cm68:
    I take my shot and before i release the mouse the session disconnects. When i reconnect, the shot is played, saved and ready for the next???

Try this, before you release your mouse, Turn off your modem, or disconnect from the net.

Reconnect. it will still be your shot.

• gofbals
    178 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2012 6:57 AM

if anyone here has played pga golf by sierra there was never a meter problem.now here at wgt there is meter problems.used the same computer for pga as i use for wgt.i just went a full 2 weeks with no meter problems and was at least 3 under almost every game i played .last 3 days its been getting worst (Meter) and im lucky to hit the fairway.

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2012 8:26 AM

I turn off all my anti virus programs and everything that is on auto run,and background stuff  that is not needed to run during gameplay.pc looking or update looking at pc for update will kill a meter,I get maybe1 tick a week on the meter

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2012 9:52 AM

gofbals:
    if anyone here has played pga golf by sierra there was never a meter problem.now here at wgt there is meter problems.

They don't compare, just like Links doesn't compare. This is browser golf where you have no meter installed on your HD such as you do with store bought games.

If everything has been fine for you and then all of a sudden it isn't, that usually describes a problem on your computer's end. Something changed for you and some prudent maintenance will probably clear it up. Things like clearing your caches, browser and Flash and  making sure back ground events aren't happening,  like Windows updates or anti virus updates. For me that Windows update does make the meter act funny until I take care of it. (It isn't automatic by my choice.) 

There's usually an easy answer to what's going on, you just need to look for it. GL

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2012 6:12 PM

YJ,

Tried several different versions of Comodo and archived Flash versions but they are still unplayable for some reason.  Even tried the exact combo you posted.  Oh well.  FF is a bit more stable than it was before starting this thread so again thanks to all.

Think the best tweaks have been msconfig adjusts, setting up a dual boot system with one partition dedicated to WGT, and the MZ 7 optimizer.  Had been using Advanced System Care for a while but system seems more responsive to MZ 7.

Side question, does your battery brick get hot after you've played a few games?  Mine gets extremely hot and I'm sure that has something to do with my problems.  Have PC on a cooling pad that helps a tad but brick still gets hot.  PC stays normal temp though.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2012 6:18 PM

YankeeJim:
    This is browser golf where you have no meter installed on your HD such as you do with store bought games.

And unlike store bought games where you load the meter once, here you download it every time you start the computer and the game.  And both meters reside in RAM while you play.  gofbals has a valid point.

RSS