Forums

Help › Forums

Where are they now?

Thu, Dec 13 2012 4:34 PM (34 replies)
  • MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2012 12:59 AM

Who are the best players on WGT?  Forgetting player's averages as most of us agree that it is not really an indication of who is best but simply who plays most stroke play games (and scores well, obviously), BolloxInBrugues seems to be everyone's number 1 choice for the top player award.  And in the Ladies category, having had the pleasure of playing with her many times, I think most would agree that Priestess would take that accolade.

But people have talked of others, past players.  Before my time, but I think just about everyone who has been here a while has said that Tibbets was by far the greatest WGT'er.  And Tess herself has said that Ncviz was the best female WGT player.

So what happened to these players?  Why did they quit when others carried on?  Did they get bored with the game?  To be perfectly honest, when I returned from a holiday to Egypt over Christmas I also lost total enthusiasm for this game.  I quit and handed over the CC I had created and got rid of all my friends, bar a couple.  But then I realised something; I wasn't playing this game for the game, but for the friends I had made.  So they were once again added.  If this game ended today I would feel a very sad emptiness for the friends I will have lost.

So what happened to Tibbets and Ncviz?  Did they not have friends on here?  Was/is it really that easy to walk away from this game, from the friends they made?  Tibbets finished at the end on January 2010 after being here for 2 years.  Ncviz, although she played a few more sporadic games later, effectively finished beginning of March 2011.

Or did they?  How can they simply walk away, not so much from the game, but from friends?  Could you?  I know I couldn't.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2012 2:17 AM

I didn't know Ncviz. Thus I looked at her profile to see her most recent scores (score history)

http://www.wgt.com/members/ncviz/default.aspx

I still think Priestess is by far better.

Concerning Tibbets, it's stated in the link below that he moved to a state that does not allow him to play for money, so he quit.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/27387/153933.aspx

Regards

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2012 2:50 AM

genorb:

I didn't know Ncviz. Thus I looked at her profile to see her most recent scores (score history)

http://www.wgt.com/members/ncviz/default.aspx

I still think Priestess is by far better.

As I've already said, don't go by her average.  But also, I was just portraying what Tess told me as I didn't know Ncviz either.

genorb:
    Concerning Tibbets, it's stated in the link below that he moved to a state that does not allow him to play for money, so he quit.

Y'know, as soon as I posted the initial post I got to thinking about this very subject.  How many would still be here if there were no prizes to play for, but the game was just a social pastime?  I know I would; over the last 6 months I've found, the hard way in one instance, what it would mean to lose friends on WGT, be they virtual (in-game only) or at the end of a Skype line.  Maybe I've come too attached to WGT and what it means to me, but everyone has their own comfort zones.

So, how many would stay leave if there were no prizes on offer?  Would it curb all the multi-accounting and sandbagging?  Would it be a better place to be?  Do you play this game to be with people you want to be with, or do you do it just to satisfy your ego?

I still believe WGT's business model, or rather the means to achieve the vision, needs work.  Yes, maybe they are achieving it at the moment, but at what cost?  Look at all the bad things that come up in the forum, and so much more regularly now than even 12 months ago.  I believe WGT can fix this if they want to.  See past the initial $$$ to what this social pastime can be, and I believe it would make WGT a much more wealthier site... in it's members, it's own people, and consequently the dollars - I am sure their revenue would at least be where it is now, but most likely increase through trust, loyalty, and above all, friendship.

• BenRC
    381 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2012 3:05 AM

You bring up some very valid points.......not to mention you sound like a very caring person....

I do believe you would have to have ice running through your veins to not feel some kind of sad emptiness if you no longer were at the site for whatever reason......

No doubt you try and keep things in perspective and realize that it is a virtual world...but on the other hand...I also know there are real people behind these avatars and some that I care very much for and would miss If I no longer interacted with them...

Does WGT define me here ? ...no...but how I am in real life, I try and bring that across with my friendships here and I let that define me, as I'm sure most of the caring people that play here, feel the same way....

I am grounded in Real Life...but I surely enjoy the laughter, the chat , and the game play with my friends here very very much.....

An interesting post indeed MioKontic.........

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2012 3:07 AM

BenRC:
    I also know there are real people behind these avatars and some that I care very much for and would miss If I no longer interacted with them...

Brings tears to the eyes just thinking about it.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2012 3:15 AM

Some might say that what happened to Tibbets was Faterson.  But that would be too simple.

In the summer of 2010 I saw the man off the coast of Bellingham, WA sailing his boat in the Pacific Ocean, sipping a gin & tonic and smoking a good cigar on the fore deck.

I was a friend of Tibbets until the day he deleted each and all his friends.

One day his legend will rightfully fall into place alongside Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, Byron Nelson, Shivas Irons.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2012 8:50 AM

Doublemochaman:
    One day his legend will rightfully fall into place alongside Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, Byron Nelson, Shivas Irons.

Heh, funny you mention that DMM!  I think shortly after Tibbets left I was over on TWO and caught this ad.....

Tibbetswgtad.swf

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 2:04 PM

MioKontic:
    Could you?  I know I couldn't.

I couldn't either.

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 1:45 AM

I'm a little disappointed that some of the longer-standing players, top players and top earners haven't commented, particularly on the points of why they are still here playing, could they simply walk away, and would they continue if there was nothing at stake.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 1:05 PM

I will start by saying I am not a top player, mediocre at best, but I have had some success at this game!

Its called burn out.  You play 10-25 RGs per day for 2+ yrs and you get burnt out.  

No longer fun, and more recently the game lacks the skill factor.    Its aim, ding, birdie or even eagle.  I remember the day I turned legend, and the learning curve involved trying to fly a 3I into #4 SAs with very little stopping power.  Try to land it 7 yds short and roll it up nice and tight.  No I can fly that same 3I and get it to check on a dime.   There is no longer any thought involved on approaches.   

The great putters will dominate as they still safe themselves from 20ft.  If I am dining I will be under 10ft and often around the 6-7ft mark for 9 or 18 holes and I will score well.  

These top players although trying to play for fun, when you play that many and try to be competitive you simply burn out!

I personally am playing way less because of some of these reasons, the fun factor, but I likely can not walk away as I could not leave the friends I have made, the friday night poker games, the golf trips, the sports pools, the skype interactions and the good times I spend with these friends.   I however am just not interested in playing WGT that often anymore.

Just my thoughts,

b0gey

RSS