Forums

Help › Forums

Where are they now?

Thu, Dec 13 2012 4:34 PM (34 replies)
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 1:41 PM

Although I have never met them face to face, my friends on here are the only reason I play this game. I travel a lot in my business and look forward to the end of the day, in my hotel room with a cold beer, or one of my 90% liquor, 10% mix lady drinks, my gingerdaniels. This gives me a good laugh or a chance to vent outside of the daily grind. I could care less about my status here, my avg, or my level. My friends don't care about this, they enjoy me and I enjoy them. I comment on the forums, and catch hell more than some. This is my old mans facebook. I don't participate in that nonsense. It is a great site, lots of fun, and I will be around, as long as my friends are. When they leave, so do I. What would be the sense of staying?

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 3:55 AM

It is a shame the game has become what it is with all the new clubs and balls coming out, but to some extent I can also understand why.  But would the game have been any worse if these new clubs and balls hadn't come out?  I don't think so.  Maybe WGT needed to find other ways to get income.  Before upgrading to the best clubs and balls, the game was realistic, but not now, not really, which, like you say, is why we're getting bored with it

Doing that many RG's each day, I have to ask the question... why???  As I've said many times, money is the source of all evil.

And finally...

renniw52:
    When they leave, so do I.

I know some day it will happen, but I both dread and fear that day.

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 12:46 PM

The other day I was on a musical Youtube journey (something Lizzie has taught me) and came across this gem from nearly 50 years ago.  I was on a bike ride today and couldn't get the song out of my head, and then remembered this thread for which I thought it was quite apt.

Many songs written by Carole King (some with Gerry Goffin) have withstood the test of time, a notable one being "Will you still love me tomorrow", first performed by The Shirelles way back in 1960!!  How many songs from the present day can you say will still be listened to in 50 years time???

The golf society which I am part of (based in Telford) meet up at Penrith in the north of England each year with 2 other societies, one from Liverpool and the other from East Kilbride in Scotland.  With teams of 12 strong, we play a Ryder Cup-style 2-day competition.  Last year this competition was 30 years old, and for some years now we have had a trophy called Absent Friends which is 'awarded' to someone who has been a supporter of the competition but, for whatever reason, is no longer.  It can sometimes be quite an emotional awarding.

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 1:32 PM

MioKontic:

I'm a little disappointed that some of the longer-standing players, top players and top earners haven't commented, particularly on the points of why they are still here playing, could they simply walk away, and would they continue if there was nothing at stake.

Hi Mio,

Just stumbled upon this thread and it got me thinking...  I knew the two people you mentioned pretty well (in wgt terms, not real life) having played with both of them quite a bit "back in the day".  Memories of Tibbets, Iconian, NCVis and myself playing rounds together, learning, having fun and being frustrated together bring a grin to my face still.  But as in real life time always catches up to you.  I don't want to be depressing, but eventually everyone will move on, some to better things, some to obscurity, but one thing is for sure, this site will not last forever.  I myself have had to step back several times for burnout, personal reasons, frustration or just simply my private life had to take priority.  It doesn't mean I didn't miss the game or the people I've met here, but other things had to take priority.

Could I walk away permanently, LOL, probably not, I'm an addict to the core... but in the same breath, it's not the same as it used to be for us "long-standing" players.  It's like watching the village you grew up in explode into a full blown city where you don't know Tom from Di ck and every other Harry questions you or wants a piece of you.  I'm pretty sure that at least a little bit of the reason Tibbets left is the amount of attention he received being as good as he was.  When he was here there was no one better.  Period.  But as some of us who have been around for a while can attest, he didn't pull any punches when he posted in the forums, and that didn't make him a lot of friends.  It may have worn on him, I'm not sure, but it sure took a toll on me, and I didn't even get 1/10th of what he put up with.  There are still people posting on his wall for god's sake!!  And I can't speak for Bollox, but I imagine that he knows exactly what Tibbets went through and there will probably come a time when enough is enough.

And that's how it happens for some, I can't speak for others because that's all my experience allow me to try to relate.

Would I continue if there was nothing at stake?  I don't know...  My competitive side says what would be the point?  But my love of the game of golf side says... No way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks I could leave.  This is, by far, the closest you can get to real golf as it gets, in my humble opinion.

Lee

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 2:00 PM

I don't want to be depressing, but eventually everyone will move on, some to better things, some to obscurity, but one thing is for sure, this site will not last forever.

Too true, but it can be a tough pill to swallow because, as you say, it's not just a game, it's an addiction.

It's like watching the village you grew up in explode into a full blown city

Yep, I see that too; it seems to have gone full circle since I joined in November 2010, and the population has grown exponentially.

For me, this game has become an obsession, way more than I want.  Although I played my first game last night in about 10 days, I still came on each day to just see if it was still here.  But sometime, somehow, I will have to loosen the grip.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 2:17 PM

MioKontic:

For me, this game has become an obsession, way more than I want.  Although I played my first game last night in about 10 days, I still came on each day to just see if it was still here.  But sometime, somehow, I will have to loosen the grip.

As is the case in all true love affairs Mio. Sometimes you are head over heels and can't get enough. Other times you find yourself having meandered along without any purpose and the magic feels like it's waning. Then something happens and the cycle starts off at the beginning again. 

:)

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 4:25 PM

MioKontic:

If I listened to this song once tonight, I listened to it at least 30 times.  It is just awesome.

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 4:28 PM

This is a really nice thread, so let me ruin it....with my madness.

Ren..you old squirrel, I'll be here as long as you are brother...but we're so old the Vultures are already circling maing !   lol

Mio..I enjoy very much your intellect and opinions, even when I disagree.

AvatarLee....I sincerely appreciate looking at things through your eyes. You sell yourself short Lee, you were and are absolutely...one of the Big Gun's on here !!  I know when you are in a match and things are kind of even...you will say: "It's time to bring the Pain" and that is usually a very bad omen for your opponent.

Tiffer....what can I say. I'm glad they let you out of the Asylum for awhile. Please stay away from the women and children. Thank you in advance.

Yes...as far as where are they now ? I happened to catch a Pic of Bo Derek, the movie starlet in "10" who starred with the late Dudley Moore...she was absolutely beautiful in the movie. Time has a way of being cruel.

Bo sends a shout-out to Ren !!

SM

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 5:18 PM

StrangeMagic:

Tiffer....what can I say. I'm glad they let you out of the Asylum for awhile. Please stay away from the women and children. Thank you in advance.

SM

They only let me out so I can play with the traffic so your fears are ill founded SM.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 5:39 PM

Wasn't here in the "old days" having only joined in May of last year. Still like to think I may have captured some of the fun and spirit associated with what this site was though through my associations with some of you fine gentlemen. Heck, haven't even had the pleasure of playing a game with most of you, but, I have had the distinct pleasure of sharing many a good laugh, and I sure hope that continues for a good long time.

Doc

RSS