Forums

Help › Forums

BRAND NEW L98 DRIVER

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 8 2013 7:27 PM (51 replies)
  • tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 10:09 AM

I am not that convinced the new driver is worth the bother. Sure the extra distance is very handy but the slower meter speed is playing havoc with my timing. Hitting the driver early and the irons late :(

• baggepance
    315 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 1:08 PM

face it mates...its still all about hitting the dings and making the putts!!  just sayin

• borntobesting
    9,686 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 1:37 PM

gazcoll:

I'm l96 legend and have R11S driver,don't think i will pay $30 for 3 more yards average on my drives.Gaz

It's more about the extra forgiveness. 1 full dot makes a big difference. And I found it much easier to ding that either the R11 or the R11s.Even though it shows only 3 yards more it easily goes 8 to 10 yards farther.

I played the week 10 single play 18 with it earlier and missed 1 fairway due to underestimating how far it was going to go.. All the other drives landed in the fairway and only 1 was under 300 yards and that was a 280 yard punched drive on #17. I averaged 310 with 92% fairways hit. Not bad at all. Sure the $30 is a little steep but for me it was worth it.

• daddd1
    171 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 1:41 PM

its still drive for show-------------putt for dough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 1:42 PM

baggepance:

face it mates...its still all about hitting the dings and making the putts!!  just sayin

Yup, and you would be spot on, unless some will use this driver to putt with, hehehe.

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 3:58 PM

Jimbog1964:
    So now legends with more XP points get to use equipment WAY better than those with less XP points.  OK but in real life would a REAL Pro Shop hold people back with ability???

If you're gonna compare this to real life, you can compare it this way. More XP points mean more playing time and practice. More practice usually brings better results in real life. WGT basically rewards your "practice" time with better ability, the same as it would be better in real life. They can only do it with more power, precision and forgiveness, which could only come after a lot of time playing in real life.

I hope I expressed what I mean clear enough. Basically, if you only played for 3 months IRL, your game would have a disadvantage to someone who's played for 3 years most times, right? But because WGT can't really enhance your actual ability, they do it by offering long time players a chance to get enhanced clubs.

Jimbog1964:
    WGT you had a chance to open up the very good L94 R11s and just replace the not so good R11, and you would have sold loads, and people 10 levels later would probably still look at the new L98 “super dooper” driver

A couple of things. I've been outdriving R11s drivers with that "not so good" (as you called it) R11 on many occasions, or at least go toe to toe with it. The same way that anyone who actually knows where to aim drives and what spin to use can easily outdrive both R11s with a L81 G20.  And even if you don't, it's less than 1 size iron difference in the end, so no biggy. Bigger problem for lower levels are irons, although after L79 the Bladez even the field enough for anyone with skill.

That new driver isn't really that hot, especially on courses where a higher trajectory works better. i'd much prefer the R11s (2 more levels for me). And I agree with what Tiffer said (on top of page 4) about the difference in speeds between the driver and irons, 1 degree difference is bad enough, but to add 1 more?

I only see 1 potentially huge issue with the new gear and that's the L48 driver. Placing it there is like asking people to restart or multiaccount. Like we don't already see enough of that, now it's been made even easier. Imagine some current or former legends coming out as hacks, only needing to get to L48 (lightning quick to get there) and having a 275y driver combined with low level R11s and CGs. Peachy.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:02 PM

IF you are L98 and want to spend the money I am the first to say ENJOY.  I can't see how it wont be better if not night and day of course................That was never the point.  A Tour Legend or even Legend (latter not gonna open up) that gets that far fair play.  twas never the issue.  I think WGT have lost the plot the way they are going about this equipment issue.  Yes it is still possible to just enjoy the game, They could have dropped that availability to just Legend + (hec they do it with a ball....and they could have diminished the R11s to Level 90 where it was until some chinless wonder at WGT changed it to L94.....close competition (perceived) encourages game play and therefore consumables get sold more etc.............   

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:06 PM

I did mistakenly put post this thread elsewhere as well......LOL.......attention pay :)..........I noticed WGTicon locked that thread as posted elsewhere and therefore he / she is correct in doing that............I do encourage WGTicon to comment here though! From the horse's mouth so to speak would be interesting!

What goes on at Level 98 really does not concern me and very loyal players who do the right thing and are good enough to be T Legend (OK maybe Legend but not going there) maybe should have some type of reward.....It's not a real pro shop.......It's not what WGT have done though........With commitments way they are going I will not be at Level 94 til Christmas if I am lucky so...........................WGT are throwing great equipment at the lower levels..where the masses are and by Level 48 you get a 275 yard driver that a baby could hit straight.  Rather than replace the current antiquated R11 they just had to keep it at FULL price and come up with some new Level for the new one...........Keep the new one at L98 but just give half a crap about legends below a certain Level...........I wonder how many masters and T masters will be queuing up to play skins for money now..either these Levels.  In my book it serves to ENCOURAGE SANDBAGGING......why get shoved 50 yards + back with a driver that goes a couple yards farther than the T Pro's my mother could drive the green 275 yarder........I ain't even got to the real serial offenders yet LOL   

Guess WGT expected this but will anticipate a week or two will pass and will all fade away.........shoddy business may bight em though.........and teh way they have lost the plot they deserve it

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:09 PM

WGT is offering a CTTH R1 challenge. A new R1 driver to the lowest score in each tier.(driver by level) You level 98 TL's should get cracking at the chance to win one for free against very few others.

Go lookie...

• cappiest
    1,345 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:12 PM

Ya i tell ya....i wish i knew then what i know now. I would be playing from TM tees with all this great equipment and the game would seem very easy.

Not enough thought went in to tiers/levels and such. Too much concentration on making money so just make sure everybody can get the equipment in one form or another.

Very disappointed in how the game has progressed....

RSS