Forums

Help › Forums

So, what now?

Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:48 AM (282 replies)
  • Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Fri, Sep 20 2013 6:39 PM

Been planning my next purchases tonight, reviewing the possibilities against my current gear. Because I'm sure as Hell going to need something when (if) I make Legend. So from the longest to the shortest here's my thoughts.

DRIVER. Probably the easiest decison. I'm currently using the Level 48 TM R1. 275yards off the tee and more forgiving than Hilary Clinton. There's really only one option with the big, bad R1 being further away from my current Level (87) than the Delta quadrant. The TM SLDR (Level 89) with an average 282 yards will be a real asset. Twist.

3 WOOD. The TM R11 (Level 84) I've been using is a pretty unforgiving beast, but the MAX equivalent at Level 92 has a  huge difference in meter speed which will surely fek with my timing and the TM R11s is just too far away. Stick.

IRONS. Again only one real choice to the Level 79 RocketBladez I've been swinging, The R11 set (Level 90) is the logical step. OK so there's a MAX set (Level 94) but there's the timing issues again. So to switch or not to switch? The R11s have an extra half a dot of forgiveness and spin yet a faster meter. Just about the fastest of any clubs. You know, I'm tempted to stick.

WEDGES. The toughest choice. My Cleveland CG-16s are serving me well. But the TM ATVs have a spacing that I think I'll prefer (100/75/50 vs 100/80/60). They have an extra dot of forgiveness but half a dot less precision and spin. I think I'll stwist. Or twick.

PUTTER. I've not looked at another putter since I started. It's been the Level 77 Nike Method all the way. And I can't see any reason to change. End of.

BALLS. The biggest upgrade I'll make. My WGT G12-S balls have served me well. But with no dots of distance, any boost in this area will make a huge difference. I've trialled some gifted two dot Srixons which average about ten extra yards off the tee compared with the WGTs. So I'm thinking four or more dots will make an even more significant difference. However this biggest upgrade will be the most expensive one. By a country mile. My virtual balls last on average about a day's play (my real ones approximately 1/720th of this) and jumping from roughly 21 credits a day to a hundred plus requires serious thought. My current short list are the Callaway HEX Chrome+ at 300 credits and the 400 or 450 credit Nike 20XI-X. Certainly one to dwell on.

Having spent a goodly while studying all these clubs I have a supplementary question. Well two actually. What the fek is shot shaping and what is it's relevance in the Pro Shop as every single club seems to have the same half dot of it?

Actually here's a third question. How long before WGT cotton onto this and introduce clubs with extra shot shaping potential (and money making opportunity to sell millions of new clubs)? Could be a whole new update all on it's own.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Fri, Sep 20 2013 11:09 PM

Not much to say about your club choice - I'm sure you know the delays for the different levels and you know why you excluded the G20s from your thoughts.

You have Courteney's consent regarding the wedges, which is perfect approval, and the putter is an all personal choice - don't change a winning team!

Concerning balls, there are two thoughts to add:

One, it's your choice to decide how much entry fee you can afford or wanna invest or are able to generate as an income, daily or monthly - choose the ball accordingly.

Two, if additional distance is your preferred characteristic, it must be a top ball to justify the hustle of new distance tables etc.

One answer to your three questions at the end: Shot shaping is a future option just like "player's reputation" in the MP game set-up: We may hope for these but there are not even promises. Until now, there's only the "ding mishit" way of shaping. No relevance.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2013 3:15 PM

I can't let generosity go un-noted.

My sincere thanks to scarecrow2805 for his kind gift. I hope when (if) I reach Legend he will be free for a round.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Sun, Sep 29 2013 5:26 AM

Six months. Half a feking year. 26 weeks full of joy, finger numbing frustration and scrot*m shrinking tension I've been playing this fabulous, annoying, anger firing game. And where do I currently sit? Well right here.

Days played:- 183

XPs earned:- 382 297, Level 87.

Credits earned:-  24 854 (Videos/Surveys/Offers 24 045, "Winnings" 719).

Credits spent:- 15 419.

Credit balance:- 9 445.

Average:- 63.52.

Driving Accuracy:- 83.51%.

GIR:- 71.39%.

Putting Average:- 1.80.

Average distance to hole:- 18 feet.

Balls lost:- 7 

Money spent:- Zero.

All of which leaves me 2.52 strokes away from Legend. I've been sticking to my principles and still using the WGT G12-S balls which give me a slower meter and a single dot of spin but no extra distance. I'm a few thousand XPs shy of Level 88 and 46 101 XPs away from Level 89. This particular Level is one of those milestone ones because the full set of high end TaylorMade ATV wedges become available as does the TaylorMade SLDR driver. 

I will be buying the 64 degree ATV as soon as I reach Level 89 and stick it in beneath my Cleveland CG 16s on courses where I don't use the 3 wood to try it out as a direct comparison to the most lofted Cleveland. It will also give me that 50 yard (41 yard punched) option.

The driver I'm going to try and hold off on until (hopefully) I make Legend. This may seem stupid but I have no wish to be a Tour Master with all the big boys toys. When (if) I make Legend I want to make the transition as relatively painless as possible. Seven yards off the tee on average extra is going to be a big help. Coupled with some Callaway HEX Chrome+ balls, with there four dots of distance, should go a long way to negating the added yardage of the back tees. Hell, on some holes I'll be approaching from closer than I am now.

Of course how my hopeless putting copes with the faster greens is another matter.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Sun, Sep 29 2013 5:43 AM

Fair play Graham, i didnt think it was possible to get where you are without spending a few sheckles first.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Sun, Sep 29 2013 5:51 AM

Choose a course, Bethpage for example is easier off the legend tees than the TM tees, and become an expert. It is possible even with ur equipment to shoot sub 60's all the time there.

I know some players who, after trying to qualify for the US Open at Merion can shoot sub 60 in their sleep.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Sun, Sep 29 2013 10:42 AM

Very well done Graham m8, well on course and your outlook of the game is fantastic.

Like me, actually better than me (you spent nothing) you got all the top end clubs for your tier, I spent approx £15 if i remember rightly.

I've actually enjoyed, nay waited with baited breath for every post you have made in this blog accounting along the way your meteoric rise through the ranks to what will very soon be Legend tier and well deserved may I add.

Maybe then, you will start to chill, relax and enjoy playing some games with all your new found friends you've got here just through this post.

Well done bud, keep it up and of course , keep us posted ;-)

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 4:26 PM

My thanks as ever to TWOMINUSONE, oneeyedjohn and Mushy01 for their kind words.

I hit 63 to make TourMaster (obviously) and until now that was my best average. But tonight I crept into the unknown as my average dipped below 63. Now the really hard stuff starts. Only 30s and 31s will do.

I'm feked.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 5:50 PM

lol - I'm afraid so Graham m8, now it gets hard, but you can manage it I'm sure with ease.

Enjoy this time, as initially the game gets hard when you make the step up to the Legend tees, but once you get the hang of it, its like a whole new game, hell, even the views change, its almost like playing brand new courses ;-)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 6:55 PM

Everytime I see the title of this thread I think of a scene from Pulp Ficition lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23EOVuhIhdg

I didn't post the video due to some vulgar language, discretion is advised.  ;-)

RSS