Forums

Help › Forums

So, what now?

Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:48 AM (282 replies)
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Nov 2 2013 4:03 PM

Games4Ever71:

The funny thing is, people still call this game free, and to get anywhere good on it you have to pay to get there. So my question is, how is it free if you have to pay to get where you want? Makes no sense to me that people keep saying this site is free.

You don't go to a car dealership and say the car is free, and then you pay for it, right? Same goes for this site.

Running is free. If you want to be competitive, though, you invest in quality running gear,  should invest in either a weightlifting set or gym membership and pay entry fees into competitions.

This site IS free, just like running is. Anyone can create an account, access WGT and play for free. If your goal is to compete and win as opposed to just playing recreationally that's YOUR issue and it's going to cost you something, either time or money.

Your analogy to a car dealership is totally off the mark.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Sat, Nov 2 2013 6:43 PM

Games4Ever71:

The funny thing is, people still call this game free, and to get anywhere good on it you have to pay to get there. So my question is, how is it free if you have to pay to get where you want? Makes no sense to me that people keep saying this site is free.

You don't go to a car dealership and say the car is free, and then you pay for it, right? Same goes for this site.

Free as in costs not one pence, cent or euro.

Fair enough time is money! but if you have time in abundance, whats the worry?..... Fek,(Graham) as got where he is at this precise time with all the top gear for his level, and he hasn't spent a single cent, I thought I was doin well getting his far with only spending maybe £20 but Graham as put me to shame, all I say is good on you m8.

I still got to find a car dealership that offers ways and means to progress/buy a car, like WGT does by the way ..... If you know of one, maybe let me know ;-) ...

Gr8 work WGT .... thank you for the opportunity to play this fantastic game almost free :-)

• pearljammmmer
    4,268 Posts
    Sat, Nov 2 2013 9:08 PM

Well I don't know how good "to get anywhere good" is, but I've done OK by my standards so far and haven't spent a cent.  I did - and keep doing - the online surveys to get credits to be able to upgrade my clubs.

This is the best golf simulation I have ever seen or played, it's awesome, so realistic. Period.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 3:59 PM

So, what did happen next?

Well back last November I was striving for the elusive "Legend" tag. I was really, really trying to hit the low 30s needed and it got to the stage where I would bomb any round where I didn't hit a birdie on the first or hit a bogie anywhere. Which meant I was completing about as many rounds as I would against Iron Mike in his prime. Then one day just thought "Fek it, this just isn't any fun". I'd rather be giving oral gratification to a skunk who hadn't washed in a week. So just stopped playing. I dabbled with the WGT Baseball - if you think the b*tching is bad on these forums............anyway I digress. 

So for the next nine months I worked, I played, I holidayed in Bequia, I drank and I continued to try to find that elusive way into the Wife's delightful nether regions. I did play the odd few rounds every now and then and, of course, not having played for months, was truly abysmal.

Then a few weeks ago I thought "let's have another go". Still using the same old WGT 12S balls - ie 1 dot of spin and fek all else to help a decent round - still not paying a single penny. But I did play full rounds and slowly, very slowly the average started to tumble. Until tonight.

From tonight the average will only go one way. Up. Going to need some better balls all of a sudden I think.

• DakotaDog61
    115 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 7:21 PM

Congratulations on the promotion!

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 7:59 PM

DakotaDog61:

Congratulations on the promotion!

+1 Also not that it means anything but many players have traveled your path . I have played from Hack to Tour Legend and never spent a penny out of my pocket . Did all of my club upgrades and ball purchases from earning free credits . All this game has ever cost me is my time and I`m giving it that just by being here .Your next and final stop will be Tour Legend enjoy the ride . :-) 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 8:41 PM

lonniescott711:
    All this game has ever cost me is my time

Ah yes, time & money. And at times I wonder... If you had a Gates or Buffet or Trump and put a .357 to their head and offered the deal: in 30 seconds you will be either a pauper forever or you will be dead, I suppose you would find out the value of time. ;-}

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Sep 12 2014 2:06 AM

Funny a month or so ago I looked for your posts, but could not remember the name nor title of the post.

So Conratulations ya little feker on making legend.

Just enjoy the challenge.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Fri, Sep 12 2014 4:36 AM

My thanks to Dakota Dogs61, lonniescott711 and alanti. I have to say I wouldn't have got this far without the help of yourselves and others on this forum.

On the subject of time versus money raised by Sweetiepie, hmm that's an interesting one. Ultimately I chose to play the game without paying for two reasons. One was simply that I'd set myself that very target. Sure it took longer and I've wasted time on stupid surveys where I've had to switch careers from IT manager to CEO of a multi-national to a breast feedng mother of five. But that was my aim and I've always tried to hold true to my principles. Secondly playing when the best club in my bag has not been a Black Amex means I do feel I'm better prepared for the challenges ahead. The cheap balls I've been using has meant that I've been playing a lot of mid to long irons in - something which stood me in good stead from the back tees.

All of which leads me onto the subject of my balls. It's going to have to be a balance between extra distance and spin versus cost. Obviously I'm going to try and work this out for myself, learn about my own balls and their potential, but is there any rough guide to what percentage yardage gains from each dot of distance? How much further will I shoot?

My gut feeling is that the best compromise will be the level 35 Callaway HEX Chrome+ at 300 credits per sleeve as I just don't feel I'll be able to afford 450+ for three. Thoughts?

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Fri, Sep 12 2014 6:40 AM

Congratulations fek m8 ..... great achievement.

A lot of folks round here have not a bad word against the level 33 callaways, offering a blend of everything and reasonably priced ;-) .

RSS