Forums

Help › Forums

What is one supposed to do when accused of cheating?

Tue, Apr 12 2016 2:44 PM (55 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 10:15 AM

I was surprised to find a wall post on my profile (actually, two wall posts, presumably in case I didn't get the message!) over the weekend calling me a cheat. (Please note, I've redacted the player's name in the screenshot linked above. Hopefully that keeps me within WGT posting guidelines.)

There was no information as to why said player decided to make this accusation, or what grounds s/he might possibly have to do so, and it was someone I have never come across before. Looking at her/his profile I can only guess that s/he played the First Tee event, shot a 61, and then saw the Legend leaderboard (which I happen to be leading*) and then threw off this vitriol. 

As well as the unnecessary duplication, it is interesting that the accusation contains not one but two spelling errors, which seems to be a common problem with those that shout out cheat accusations. Indeed, this player may have even managed to misspell their own name (is there a missing letter in the last part, perhaps?).

My dilemma is this… What should I do about it? 

1. Respond to this person.

2. Report them to WGT (though I'm sure WGT have better things to do with their time).

3. Notify the person's cc owner of their behavior.

4. Ignore it, delete the WallPosts and move on. (But does a lack of response suggest that one has something to hide?)

I was surprised because I've always thought of myself as the least likely person to be accused of cheating. I'm hardly cleaning up, playing at best 2 rounds a day, often in tourneys I have little chance of winning; I use clubs well below my level; I'm very transparent (in my Blog Posts and Forum activity) about what tourneys I play (unevens mostly, and starter events that I organize); and I don't play MPC matches.

But then again, maybe being accused of cheating should just be accepted as a sign that one has finally become a decent player, so maybe I should be grateful instead!!!

----------------------

* For the record, I'll repost something here that I shared in my cc after being congratulated on that First Tee Open 1st-round 53: 

53 is my best-ever proper 18-hole score, but it was BPB in Low wind, and oddly enough, I wasn't even striking the irons particularly well. I just got lucky that the misses were in the right place, and the putter was super hot!

It turns out that I came real close to a perfect 18, with this lip-out on #5. On #12 I needed some luck with a chip-in after going long. Got lucky again on #15 with a late click turning out to be perfect on approach (that back pin bamboozles me: I haven't made GIR there in living memory!), and I just found the left edge of the cup on a pulled 14ft return putt after teeing off long on #17. Card and stats are here.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 10:29 AM

To me, your "guest" is a lier visitor is a liar. He pretends to have facts but does not give any proof.

My proposal: Delete, block, forget.

Add #3 at your discretion.

(edited)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 10:35 AM

Good advice from alosso.

I've been accused of cheating by the same type of illiterate fool...not the same person, but the same type of low-life bottom feeder.  I've learned to consider it a compliment when insulted by a foolish scumbag.

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 11:21 AM

mkg335:
     I've learned to consider it a compliment

LOL !

Mark - you do Eff'n cheat. I wish someone would accuse me of being a cheat...I feel left out !

Sorry bro...I had to..lmao !

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 11:31 AM

For all you know the accuser is some 13 year old kid, or a player with an equivalent level of maturity.

So +1 for - ignore, block, move on.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 11:34 AM

Corwyn:
    maybe being accused of cheating should just be accepted as a sign that one has finally become a decent player, so maybe I should be grateful instead!!!

You're a nobody on WGT until you've been accused of cheating, Corwyn.  Take it as a compliment.

And just for gits and shiggles....would you mind doing your best "I'm a somebody!" impression and posting the video for us?   ;-)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 11:48 AM

CanineSupervisor:

mkg335:
     I've learned to consider it a compliment

LOL !

Mark - you do Eff'n cheat. I wish someone would accuse me of being being a cheat...I feel left out !

Sorry bro...I had to..lmao !

Lee, if it makes you feel any better...you're a cheatin' mofo, effer!  lmao!

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 12:27 PM

mkg335:
    Lee, if it makes you feel any better...you're a cheatin' mofo, effer!  lmao!

Damn right he's a cheat.

There is no other logical explanation for my matchplay stats against him.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 12:48 PM

Corwyn:

But then again, maybe being accused of cheating should just be accepted as a sign that one has finally become a decent player, so maybe I should be grateful instead!!!

----------------------

Hey Corwyn,

First off I hope all is well in your parts post earthquake. Re:being accused of being a cheater, the part I left in quote is what I think you should consider and nothing more.

As to the whole of the community I can only stand up and attest to your honesty as a member here. I know full well your dedication to playing and improvement through practice. You've reached the level you worked very hard to achieve.

On a sidenote...dammit, you got the cheater accusation before me. Beat me again. ;)

Let it roll off your back.

~CD~

P.S. Message me when you get a chance. :)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 12:58 PM

Hey CD and all of you other kind folks that replied,

Thank you!

It's very helpful to get your comments and perspectives. And Apex, what you wrote certainly gives food for thought. It's interesting how easy it is to make assumptions about the people who are on here: that was a good reminder that one doesn't always know nearly enough to make a judgment.

Above all, this episode makes me truly appreciate the vast majority of respectful, friendly, enthusiastic, and helpful contributions so many people on this site make for others.

Corwyn

RSS