Forums

Help › Forums

Callaway balls: for TM's and Legends only

Sat, Feb 11 2012 6:18 AM (76 replies)
  • LouisLewis
    107 Posts
    Tue, Dec 27 2011 2:02 PM

My biggest complaint to the Administrators of WGT is the offering of Callaway balls to players in level 30  to 35 range. These balls are what I call "WGT crack". The boost they give to an average player is huge. These balls are too good to be true. They slow down the meter so much it is almost impossible to mis-time a swing. WGT players get "hooked" on this slow meter and cannot or will not ever play with any other ball besides the ball that makes the meter move slower than molasses in january in Minnesota. WGT eats up the profits like Biggie Smalls as the crackheads keep on buying.

But it hurts the overall gaming experience. It makes it about who shells out the most money, not who is the best player. I dont have enough extra cash to spend on computer golf, and therefore I cant enjoy the game as much. I love the skins challenge and the match challenge modes on this game, but it seems like I NEVER see another player in those modes without Callaway/Nike ball. Ive played the Callaway ball so I KNOW how easy it makes the game. But I refuse to pay $3 a sleeve for online golf balls.

I would like to see The Callaway (and Nike) ball only available to Tour Masters and Legends. Even better, get rid of them altogether. I know it wont happen because these balls are what make WGT so much cabbage. But it is my opinion that WGT lost a step with these balls. They turned this game into a rip off.

XBox live is WAY WAY better than this golf game...and it only costs about twice as much money as WGT. That is something for the folks at WGT to think about.

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Tue, Dec 27 2011 2:09 PM

I do not agree, the callaways was crap, the NIKE are much better :D

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Dec 27 2011 2:13 PM

Boo Fricken who.

The game can be played well with any of the balls available.  Just takes time to learn the equipment and keep with it.   I play the top end balls and get beat by better players with lesser equipment.   

I'll say this,  when I go to any store for anything, there are higher priced items that I don't buy because I cannot afford them but I don't go to the management and cry about it.  I simply buy the stuff I can afford and make the best of it.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Tue, Dec 27 2011 2:23 PM

hpurey:

Boo Fricken who.

The game can be played well with any of the balls available.  Just takes time to learn the equipment and keep with it.   I play the top end balls and get beat by better players with lesser equipment.   

I'll say this,  when I go to any store for anything, there are higher priced items that I don't buy because I cannot afford them but I don't go to the management and cry about it.  I simply buy the stuff I can afford and make the best of it.

Well said sir!!!!!!!!

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Dec 27 2011 2:33 PM

To the OP.

If you enjoy MPC and Skins Challenge matches, and feel you would be profitable, why not use Callaway's?

Your reasoning (that I infer) is if say your opponents and you all used GISD balls, you would be competitive? If so, stands to reason that if you used the same balls as everyone else, you should still be competitive.

• MentalChaos
    141 Posts
    Tue, Dec 27 2011 2:50 PM

To the OP,

If you look at my history on this game, you'll see that I have purchased the callaway balls maybe a total of 3 times, that being said I made Legend in 8 months (would have been shorter but I play a couple times a week) using balls that were 120cr or under (usually the 50cr ones), its all about learning how the specific ball works and what approach to use. I've seen guys shoot -5 on a 9 hole round from the Master tees using starter balls and equipment. Sure callaways add an edge, but the game can be mastered using mediocre tools, you just have to be smarter than the virtual equipment is....

• borntobesting
    9,682 Posts
    Tue, Dec 27 2011 3:20 PM

hpurey:

Boo Fricken who.

Very true. My best game so far was a -10 60 @ RSG during the Open qualifier and it was played with the Tour GI-S ball. It is true that the top balls makes the game a little easier but what any ball no matter which one it is can do is make you putt better,You can hit every green within 10 feet or less but if you can't sink the putts you won't score well and even the best balls aren't going to make you sink anymore putts. 

• bfghd
    1,344 Posts
    Tue, Dec 27 2011 3:31 PM

I'm in no way a good player, but here's my opinion.

There isn't just Callaway and Nike balls,  the Srixon and Tour S-Tour SD balls are fine if you can handle the meter.  If you want the Callaway's or Nike's, you can do a 450 credit survey.  If you had an extra 50 credits, that's 2 packs of Cally i(s) balls, or 1 pack of Nike's.  

I shot my best 18 hole round with a pack of Tour-SD balls.  You play with what you can, and after a while, you will have it mastered.  

• LouisLewis
    107 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 11:34 AM

hpurey:

Boo Fricken who.

I dont have the time or money or desire to be "great" at this game. My point is WGT made it too easy for beginners to play at a high level by offering the Callaway ball.

Im not crying to management, Im dropping a suggestion in the suggestion box. To let a level 30 player buy a ball that WILL cut 5 or 6 strokes off your avg score is wrong. That  large advantage should only be given as a reward to players who have put the comensurate amount of time and effort into improving their game.

You cant tell me the Callaway ball isnt a HUGE advantage over any WGT ball. It sure is. Plain and simple.

...and hpurey... it looks like you have played this game EVERY DAY for an entire YEAR....thats just sad.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 11:43 AM

LouisLewis:

...and hpurey... it looks like you have played this game EVERY DAY for an entire YEAR....thats just sad.

I think you owe the person an apology. your statement in my opinion was very rude and uncalled for. What they do with their life is their own business, not yours.

Granny would take you behind the woodshed for a comment like that.

RSS