Forums

Help › Forums

Is this some kind of joke?

Mon, May 21 2012 12:09 PM (85 replies)
  • Showtime29
    70 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:02 AM

Why shouldnt he be mad?

I  contribute money to this site, and it disheartening to hear that not only are people constantly multi-accounting, but WGT is turning a blind eye to it, while also making sure to protect the cheaters by not being outed on the message boards.

I have been part of many internet communities, and the #1 deterrent has/is and will always be community enforcement.  That is if you are actually concerned with fair play, as opposed to squeezing bucks and tripling your player base to make it more attractive to investors and advertisers.

• NickN85
    193 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:07 AM

Are they taking your money specifically? Are they causing you to lose an investment?

Not really.. technically the OP was about "free" tourny entries.. so yeah while you have the right to be mad about the staff not wanting people outed in public.. technically you havent lost a cent. So just dont enter a premium tourny if you think someone will be cheating and dont play any MPC's against them.

All thats left to do is to email wgt and hope they take care of it. By posting it in the forums you'll get the attention of one staff member at best.. and all that staff member can do is relay the info to one who can do something about it..

And even then, it's up to him if he even wants to relay it or not since the person doing the outing broke the TOS.

So by posting about it in the fourm's its only a lose lose.. and by sending an email.. you have more of a shot...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:07 AM

Showtime29:
    Why shouldnt he be mad?

Mad is OK Showtime. How you vent it has to have some  semblance of order though, no?

• hotcarrie
    865 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:14 AM

i spoke to a relation of mine today who is a journalist and he said that he will have a look at wgt to see how much money etc they are making and that there might be a story in it because of the amount of things that just dont seem right with wgt.

so maybe just maybe things will be exposed and or fixed.

on the suface i must say it does look like there coul;d be a bit of a con going on here

• Showtime29
    70 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:20 AM

Do you really believe that multi-accounters only play  "free" tournaments?

I stated I contributed money to the site, to show that I am not a casual user.  I am for the good of the entire game, not just one area, therefore when a discussion like this comes up (like it has come up 1000 times in the past), it is frustrating to see how easily it is pushed to the bottom of the pile.

Multi-accounting will continue to be a huge problem and it is not segregated to free ranked rounds. 

Like I said, the biggest frustration for me, is to see an admin come in, comment on the thread, without ever actually making light of the problem.   YJ, Yes, I believe it is important to be succinct in your response, but it seems like a portion of users have just accepted this as the norm for WGT, which doesnt sit well with me.

• NickN85
    193 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:24 AM

Showtime.. I didnt say that it isnt a problem.. and i didnt say it only applies to "free" tournaments.. what i said was the original post was pointing out a multi who only played in free tournaments.. so therefore HE is not that big of an issue..

Now if you want to point out a multi who has cheated multiple premium tournaments or cheated you out of credits in a MPC or something along those lines..

then fine.. youre still breaking TOS but theres merit behind your frustration..

As far as Icon's reply appearing to not care and just repeating himself to contact support..

that's all icon will ever tell you to do.. so I'm simply stating DEAL with that... not deal with the cheaters... just take the right approach to getting rid of them.. and the forums is not it..

• Showtime29
    70 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 11:28 AM

Therein lies the problem...If WGT is relying on its members to enforce multi-accounting by emailing them on a one-off basis everytime they suspect someone is MAing...what do you think you would have in terms of an effective solution?

Not only will they be inundated with emails, it will take them twice as long to sort through all the ones that deserve attention.

While it maybe against the TOS for WGT, I would still argue that outing members in a public forum is the easiest, cheapest and most effective deterrent.   This combined with some technical resources, and I think WGT could more or less solve a problem that will only continue to get worse.  Obviously there has to be some guidelines, or else the slandering would be a problem worse than the MAing.

These are just thoughts, but there are some respected members of the community who might not mind taking on an advisory role.  If a player strongly suspects someone else of MAing, there could some check points for them to go through before posting, and the member advisor would oversee it to make sure it had merit.   Like I said, just thoughts, but this is definitely something that needs to get sorted out before the game hits the mass appeal it is headed towards.

The forums are the best place to foster discussion, and also get the attention of WGT...just take a look at the recent Ready Go payout thread, where there were some outstanding posts that I believe went a long way in having them change a broken payout system.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 11:52 AM

Good post, Showtime, and a good idea. The only snag would be what Archie pointed out on the first page. How do you determine who's a natural and who's scamming the system? Just because a Hack lays down a 31 early in his time here doesn't mean he didn't practice his rear off to get good enough to post that score. Some players might be just honing their skills in practice before venturing out into the ranked round arena.

I suggested in another thread that they involve the earnings in the promotion equation. Put some kind of cap on what you can win in a given tier and you might be able to get along with the MAs.

• Hackmore
    41 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 11:58 AM

I'm more than positive it is difficult to police these activities....but if that's the case, why did I get caught in about 3 weeks, they deactivated all 3 accounts, (I didn't read all the rules and regs when I first signed up), and asked me which account I'd like to keep. I kept the hackmore account, play every day, but it gets frustrating when I have trouble beating a Hack or Amature in a blitz or multi player. Call me bias but if they busted me so quickly, why can't they get the other cheaters as quickly.

Disclaimer: I already admitted I am a reformed cheater.

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Tue, Feb 15 2011 12:55 PM

Hi guys,

Removed a couple of posts that had gotten out of hand.

Regarding "Wall of Shame" threads:  Please don't.  It's not uncommon for vigilante justice to go overboard and start targeting innocent players.  There are also instances where a player will use public accusations of cheating as a weapon in their interpersonal dispute with another player.  These issues are not justified by the potential deterrent effect of public lynchings.

Regarding "multiple accounts".  Please understand that, similarly, it's important that WGT carefully consider the potential for innocent players to be swept up in any too-widely-cast net meant to remove problem accounts.  WGT would like to ensure that it is acting on issues that can be considered violations beyond a reasonable doubt.  Not everyone will agree with every call that we make, but we'd like everyone to believe that we do consider the issue to be real, and that we do act accordingly when appropriate.

Regarding suggestions:  Please Do.  We read you suggestions and take them to heart (as is the case with our rolled back RG payouts...you spoke, we listened.  We like to be able to do that).  We just ask that you please be respectful to your fellow players.  These can be hot topics, so it's not surprising that the discussion heats up a bit....that's okay.   Just remember to stay constructive.  Many sincere thanks to those of you who have participated respectfully in this particular discussion.  We are listening.

RSS