Forums

Help › Forums

The question that killed the mood and the barbeque

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 7 2013 1:25 PM (53 replies)
  • duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 10:51 AM

So - I was at a BBQ with friend and family the other night to celebrate the recent successe on the soccer pitch for our beloved Freshman player in the first two college games of the season.

Drinks were flowing at an alarming rate and the mood was - well - what it was - nutty lol

the gang started chatting up about all the dumb things they've done while being drunk.  Some of the stories were hilarious - others pretty scary.  After about an hour of the tale telling (of course I kept mine to myself lol) someone asked the question ---

Has anything good ever happened due to alcohol? 

silence - clearly everyone was trying to think of something......anything......all that was come up with were things to the effect that they were injured less because they were drunk when in some sort of accident (which they likely wouldn't have been in without alcohol involved in the first place)

So - can anyone tell me - in all honesty - if they know of a single time when something good happened because of drinking? (conception of a child excluded lol)

on a global - human history scale - or even regular joe style?

I can't think of any, and neither could anyone at the BBQ - It killed the mood and the BBQ ended shortly after - of course the person that asked the question didn't remember asking it the next day lol - brothers-in-law - what ya gunna do hehe

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 10:58 AM

Trick question? I guess half of us wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the effect alcohol has on libido and  good judgement :)

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 11:00 AM

Tightrope:

Trick question? I guess half of us wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the effect alcohol has on libido and  good judgement :)

yah rope - that's the clear choice for good stuff - probably many world scholars, artists, philosophers, and what not from that kinda 'good' :)

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 1:03 PM

Fair answer:

Yes - a beautiful 3-iron swing as a late consequence of a bottle of beer.

I first met my first wife in a train from Cologne to Berlin on our individual return to university from our families on a Sunday night drive in a couchette coach. She needed (?) help with the conversion of the seats to the bed, so I helped her, we talked, and I shared a bottle of Kölsch (beer from Cologne) with her... We remained friends after that night, then love hit us and we married a few years later and have three sons together. The oldest shares my love for golf, and as a mid-twenty, now low-thirty he has a powerful swing. His preference for the irons culmulates in a remarkable 3-iron of 200+ yards.

BTW: Is a 1-iron or 2-iron available somewhere with stiff and prolonged shaft? Would be a perfect birthday gift in October ;)

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 1:53 PM

alosso:
    BTW: Is a 1-iron or 2-iron available somewhere with stiff and prolonged shaft? Would be a perfect birthday gift in October ;)

I do know where you can get a 1 or 2 hybrid ... you will want to replace the shaft, since the ones that are used with these hybrids aren't very good.  Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-hybrids.html?club=168

As for the "anything good" question ... I don't drink, so my opinion would be biased.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 3:25 PM

Thanks and sorry - a hybrid would not replace an iron in that case :)

And, sorry again, abstinent ppl should stay abstinent from that question ;))

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 3:53 PM

impressed it only took 3 replies to get off topic!  well done lol

it was a beautiful story of how you met alosso - that's a 'good' thing for sure!

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 5:08 PM

duffer19:
    Has anything good ever happened due to alcohol? 

Had a similar conversation with a friend...bottom line we couldn't come up with any "good" things either...but could trace back many bad things that occurred;)

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 5:09 PM

My Mother was married for 23 years to my Father, who was a heavy drinker. My Mother use to tell him as she pointed to the picture on the wall with the lone horseman. " I'm going to leave you one day and take the kids with me" He would laugh and say how. (she did not drive at the time) 

" I'm leaving on that horse"... as she pointed at that picture.

The day we all left with Mom is the day she cut that horse out of the picture.

Got to love her Jewish sense of humor

• patriciawilliams
    3,273 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 6:00 PM

alosso:
    Is a 1-iron or 2-iron available somewhere with stiff and prolonged shaft? Would be a perfect birthday gift in October ;)

My brother has a 1 and a 2 iron ( spalding elite with a stiff shaft)...but sorry not for sale....he did tell me that  his  one iron originally was called a 1 iron driver, because it usually hits almost as far as a driver...

Cool, you learn something new everyday!

Have you tried Ebay?

RSS