Sat, Sep 7 2013 1:25 PM (53 replies)
  • duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:03 PM

you may have to go all 'club of destiny' and rob a museum lol

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:06 PM

Seems I remember reading in some off center  history  books on American history when I was in college that our  forefathers  and writers of the  Constitution where heavy drinkers.

As to my own drinking....it cost me a marriage.....found me a new wife. New wife and I have been sober for 20 years. Best and hardest thing I have ever done.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:31 PM

In answer to the original question:

duffer19:
    Has anything good ever happened due to alcohol? 

Here's my argument:

The invention of beer has been argued to be responsible for humanity's ability to develop technology and build civilization.  Along with feeding their slaves and stone cutters, the ancient Egyptians paid their workers in beer; and our oldest writings found in Egypt and Sumer are in reference to beer transactions and recipes.  As a matter of fact, most of our ancient writings that do not refer to deities are in reference to beer.

Prior to the creation of the pain numbing drugs we have today, doctors and dentists used alcohol.  Today, many OTC medications contain alcohol, including many mouthwashes and cold medications.

So, yes, there are good things that come from alcohol. 

alosso:
    And, sorry again, abstinent ppl should stay abstinent from that question ;))

I don't see why someone that doesn't drink can't have something knowledgeable to say on the topic.

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:48 PM

Here's one for ya

I was fishing in the everglades once with my brother & noticed that the mosquito's were not bothering him at all, as he sipped on his beer.

So I asked him for the can after he was done with it; & proceeded to rub the remaining few drops of beer all over my arms. He just laughed and thought the sun was getting to me.

I explained to him that if the mosquito's were not bothering him like they were me. I was going to see if the beer had anything to do with it.

They stayed away from me for the remainder of the day.

Just had to explain afterwards that I did not get drunk on our fishing trip when we returned home.

LMAO 

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:50 PM

Are you kidding? They asked me where I wanted my duty in the Army. A no-brainer.

Germany, where the beer is at.

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 8:14 PM

Daddykat! that's awesome - and boomer and joseph too!  nice posts gents -

my dad was stationed in Germany with his brother - both worked in the hospital pharmacy - it's amazing they made it home alive and never saw any action.  both came home with 50 year long drinking troubles but seemingly in check atm lol

really liked daddy and boomer and josephs posts!  well done

• MOLLY88
    1,029 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 8:23 PM

josephk2317:

My Mother was married for 23 years to my Father, who was a heavy drinker. My Mother use to tell him as she pointed to the picture on the wall with the lone horseman. " I'm going to leave you one day and take the kids with me" He would laugh and say how. (she did not drive at the time) 

" I'm leaving on that horse"... as she pointed at that picture.

The day we all left with Mom is the day she cut that horse out of the picture.

Got to love her Jewish sense of humor

Hello.... trivia for you... in case you've ever wondered... your "lone horseman" is a classic oil by Joseph Chabord (1786-1884) of Napoleon on Horseback entitled  'L'apothéose de l'empereur Napoléon 1er' carried in 1810. (so, at least we know that Mom didn't cut up the original...)

MOLLY

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 8:41 PM

1972 - a bunch of us got drunk and recorded a version of "Pico & Sepulveda" for a contest on radio that Dr. Demento was hosting. He used our version to open the show and we won a copy of the record. I'm sure it never would have happened without the alcohol.

I can't say that it was definitely because of the beer but in 1974 I was lightly buzzed after an all-night party. A friend and I went to an all-comers track meet and competed despite the beer. I wound up jumping a personal best, setting the stadium record of 2.12m  (just over 6'11") in the high jump. Other jumpers who knew me said they had never seen me that relaxed and flexible over the crossbar.

My friend? Almost killed himself while he was not making a height in the pole vault.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 10:07 PM

DaddysKat:
    he invention of beer has been argued to be responsible for humanity's ability to develop technology and build civilization.  Along with feeding their slaves and stone cutters, the ancient Egyptians paid their workers in beer; and our oldest writings found in Egypt and Sumer are in reference to beer transactions and recipes.  As a matter of fact, most of our ancient writings that do not refer to deities are in reference to beer.

Thing is Kat...you have to ask the reason "why"...the slaves were not the "forefathers" of civilization, just the workers who performed the tasks needed...

There's also documentation of the "now) ruins in Mexico and South America, that the slave laborers were given constant supply of Cocoa? leave..(cocaine), surely you can't think that cocaine has a part of our (mankinds) evoloution on industrsy, etc...

Draw the parallel...

Give'em what they need to get the task done, discard them when it's (or they) are finished"

We could discuss further, but I think you know where I'm going with this...the poor/needy will do whatever for what ever, to stay alive...such a sad history the world has, in order for us to have a better place.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 12:00 AM

MBaggese:

Thing is Kat...you have to ask the reason "why"...the slaves were not the "forefathers" of civilization, just the workers who performed the tasks needed...

There's also documentation of the "now) ruins in Mexico and South America, that the slave laborers were given constant supply of Cocoa? leave..(cocaine), surely you can't think that cocaine has a part of our (mankinds) evoloution on industrsy, etc...

Draw the parallel...

Not much of a parallel, aside from humans exploiting other humans.  

It appears the only remains from the ancient Mayans, Incas and Aztecs are their ruins.  We are talking about industry/technology, correct?  Wasn't the fall of these great civilizations due to the European technology at the time?  

The civilization and technology we know today is pretty much due to the creation of beer ... not cocaine.  Maybe if these civilizations had fed their slaves beer instead of Coca leafs?

RSS