The question that killed the mood and the barbeque

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 7 2013 1:25 PM (53 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 6:41 PM

MBaggese:

DaddysKat:
    The invention of beer has been argued to be responsible for humanity's ability to develop technology and build civilization.

Here it is...I focused on civilization.

As the Mayans. Aztecs, etc...even back to much earlier via the Egyptians   all used available technology..plus, think of the pyramids built...and to this day, no firm consensus has been formed (as I'm aware of) as to how they were erected...so, Technology is just not 1's and 0's (as we know it today).

Heck, even the ability to roll 10K lb blocks of stone over round poles, was a "technical advancement" instead of trying to drag them:)      

To get this back on topic, I have done a bit of research myself.  The current Inca archaeologist, Alexei Vranic from the University of California, Los Angeles, believes the current South American drink known as Chicha existed as far back as 1100 AD, and was consumed by the adults and children alike.  He also believes that some form of alcoholic beverage existed for all the large ancient American civilizations.

It has been argued that all the ancient tribes and civilizations needed to create some form of alcoholic beverage to kill the microbes found in the local water or risk disease and possible annihilation.  Since these brews were boiled, many of the bacteria found in the local fresh water was killed.  Furthermore, the alcohol was yet another method of distilling the water.  Without these brewed beverages, large civilizations such as the ancient American cultures of the Aztecs, Mayans and Incas would not have flourished.  The same is true in the Eastern ancients; however, we do have historic evidence to substantiate my argument. 

As for Coca leaves, since little writings have been found and nothing documenting the Coca plant, this is merely speculation.  While there is evidence of ancient maize  and yucca cultivation, there isn't any evidence that the ancient Americans cultivated Coca.  The theory of Coca, while interesting, is very similar to the theory that ancient aliens landed on earth and helped these ancient civilizations build these temples and pyramids. No real definitive evidence exist.

So, in conclusion, alcohol is responsible for humanity's ability to develop technology and build civilization ... and if it weren't for the ancient alcoholic beverages, the generic "man" we know today would not exist.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 8:22 PM

hyena64:
    That's saying that without these beverages, generic man of today would not exist.

Since most bacteria is spread rather easily, large civilizations needed something to kill these microbes.  The boiling of these drinks killed most of these bacteria, making larger civilizations possible.  Of course, many felt that the cure was a gift from their god, not from something as simple as boiling water.

Had the ancients not had this method of purification, the large ancient civilizations would not have been able to exist.  And without these large cities, our current known existence would definitely be different than what we know today.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 8:59 PM

DaddysKat:

hyena64:
    That's saying that without these beverages, generic man of today would not exist.

Since most bacteria is spread rather easily, large civilizations needed something to kill these microbes.  The boiling of these drinks killed most of these bacteria, making larger civilizations possible.  Of course, many felt that the cure was a gift from their god, not from something as simple as boiling water.

Had the ancients not had this method of purification, the large ancient civilizations would not have been able to exist.  And without these large cities, our current known existence would definitely be different than what we know today.

For sure Kat...

And hence my reply...boiling water for sterilization-now seen as something "everyone should know-..at the time (when found out) was in it's own way a revolutionary break through..same as BC with a round wheel;)

Industry and technology are relevant to the time periods when found/invented/etc.

We have to think of things in the stone age, bronze age, etc, and realize what leaps were made for humans to advance...all of which were/are (in concept) Industrial and technological break throughs.

So...now that we have totally derailed Duf's post:)....lol...who's up for a beer? ;)

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 9:44 PM

MBaggese:
    So...now that we have totally derailed Duf's post:)....lol...who's up for a beer? ;)

ROFL!  So true ...

Sorry Duf!

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 9:44 PM

well - i started drinking again thanks to this thread - I'll get back to you when something good happens :)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2013 6:48 AM

hyena64:
     I'm simply not agreeing that the alcohol induction was the key to the survival of man as we know it, as was stated. I believe that without it, the boiling alone would have sufficed to allow for the advancement of man.

Sorry man, beer wins hands down.

According to the book "In Search of Ancient Brewers" beer was introduced to the Mayans and Egyptians by aliens.

;o)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2013 8:02 AM

The truth is out there -

RSS