Sat, Sep 7 2013 1:25 PM (53 replies)
  • HacMcDuffer
    1,094 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 2:37 AM
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 9:37 AM

BEER DRINKING PREVENTING DEATHS FROM CHOLERA

Let’s take a step backwards to around 1831 in Britain when a creeping, deadly disease knocked on the doors of people of Britain. It took its victims one by one and rapidly spread, killing approximately a total of 7000 people between 1831 and 1832. Nobody knew how the disease started or what the disease was, all people knew were the symptoms and the masses of  bodies that needed to be buried.  
    The recognised symtoms were: severe diarrhea which increased and became accompanied by painful gut cramps, extreme thirst and dehydration; sever pain in the limbs, stomach, and abdominal muscles; a change skin colour which left bodies bluish-grey. 
    Twenty three years later after four more outbreaks, a much larger epidemic broke out in London which spread in areas of, Soho, St. Ann's, Southwark and Lambeth then on to Broad Street and Golden-square, where 500 people died in the space of three months. It was the worst that Britain had seen of Cholera. Life was a dreaded nightmare, people fled their homes and the streets and houses were filled with the stifling smells of the dead and the odors of the disease.  
              It was Dr Snow who recognized and confirmed that the disease Cholera was spread from contamination of water when he noticed that most of the victims that had died all had drunk the water from the Broad Street pump.
     In Poland Street workhouse (which was near the Broad Street Pump) only five of the inmates caught the disease and the rest of the 70 inmates survived. Dr Snow proved that the reason for this was that they had all been drinking the free beer that was an allowance given to them everyday and never touched the water from the pump.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 9:46 AM

I'm always better at darts when i'm drunk. In fact i'm totally useless when i'm sober. I've won thousands of pounds from playing darts drunk so it can't be too bad.

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 2:01 PM

ok - this thread must end - nothing I post should ever have more views than an edition of the WGT Enquirer - good stuff Andyson

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 2:19 PM

YES ....i can !! 

I  left the BAR after buy'n a cutie some drinks,,, a very HAPPY cowboy .... an found whatever money i spent to get the prize ... 

WELL WORTH IT ... :)         ...  

Dave,bill,roy,gene,KID,,,, matt..the list goes on   .... 1 for every town the rodeo came to..

:)_~~       peace 

• senec
    252 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 7:42 PM

I sometimes was a much better golfer intoxicated.Not always..Sometimes it was ugly but if I played my cards right,a little smoke around 2.p.m. a few beers in the yard flopping a wedge,just getting the feel ,you know what I mean?Then I would hit the fairways around 4 p.m. with a six pack in the cart and it happened ....Total bliss,perfect swing,wowing myself at every shot.My only par round was under these conditions,I will never forget it.I still remember on the 18th hole,I made a rare bad shot in a sand trapp a long ways from the hole,blasted it a foot from the hole and made the putt.I shot even par 72.I know it's not right but it was real,it really happened and I will never forget it.It was like when you dream of the perfect round and it happened to me.Palm desert California.1984.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 9:55 PM

DaddysKat:
     We are talking about industry/technology, correct?

No Kat...I was expounding what you wrote...will dig it up, gimme a sec:)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 10:07 PM

DaddysKat:
    The invention of beer has been argued to be responsible for humanity's ability to develop technology and build civilization.

Here it is...I focused on civilization.

As the Mayans. Aztecs, etc...even back to much earlier via the Egyptians   all used available technology..plus, think of the pyramids built...and to this day, no firm consensus has been formed (as I'm aware of) as to how they were erected...so, Technology is just not 1's and 0's (as we know it today).

Heck, even the ability to roll 10K lb blocks of stone over round poles, was a "technical advancement" instead of trying to drag them:)      

RSS