Forums

Help › Forums

Nick Faldo's exaggeration.

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 6 2015 5:14 PM (50 replies)
  • jdcote
    18 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 1:07 AM

I've watched the Nick Faldo/Glenmorangie commercial a couple times now and, while I appreciate that he does work hard at his game, I think I have to call; "Bullsh!t on one of his claims.

In the commercial, he states,"I hit over 1500 balls a day." Let's do a little math, huh?

If he were to hit one ball, every 60 seconds, he would have to hit balls for over 24 hours, (1440 minutes (60 min's./hr X 24 hrs)) and he would Still be 20 balls short of 1500 when it would be time to start the next days routine.

He wouldn't be able to eat, sleep, run to the John, or ANYTHING else, just hit golf balls, one every minute.

OK, Nick, we get it. You practice a lot. To be even mediocre at the game, you have to hit a ton of balls. But "...1500 balls a day"????

BULLSH1T!

• fmagnets
    3,640 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 11:11 AM

What if he hit a ball every 20 seconds?

• oneeyedjohn
    9,570 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 11:19 AM

Before they fenced off school playing fields in England, I used to hit 100 balls backwards and forwards at least 10 times in a few hours.  And that included gathering the balls up each time.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 11:30 AM

3 balls pr minute for 8 hours , sounds like something he would have done.

3 hours 3 times a day with lunch and dinner breaks .

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 11:46 AM

Perspectives ;-}      With fondness I recall my early teens of summer, going to the course early and hitting balls all day long....to me, 1,500 swings sounds like gravy...

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 12:00 PM

SweetiePie:
    Perspectives ;-}      With fondness I recall my early teens of summer, going to the course early and hitting balls all day long....to me, 1,500 swings sounds like gravy...

Never took it up until my v late 20s when I started to give up team sports.  Regardless with any sport it is interesting how many years and dedication, often from the whole family, go into the creation of the overnight sensations.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 12:31 PM

Jimbog1964:
    Never took it up until my v late 20s when I started to give up team sports.

hmm...Soccer or a desire to be the next Bradman ?

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 12:57 PM

fmagnets:

What if he hit a ball every 20 seconds?

Can he though?  If he hits a long iron or driver he's probably going to have a few seconds of flight time, unless he's hitting in a simulator.

And I doubt he's going to be firing balls like a machine gun, he's going to want to replicate playing a shot when it counts surely?

If he's on a range hitting real balls then I also have a hard time seeing him hitting 1,500 meaningful balls.  Meaningful as in actually thinking about the swing he's about to take and thinking about the outcome and why the ball perhaps didn't go exactly where he intended.   If he's on a simulator that instantly tells him where the ball finished them yeah, perhaps I can buy it.

Simply hitting balls as quickly as you can doesn't do squat for your game.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 1:04 PM

When i go to the range i hit 1500 balls. 100 balls on the range in about 40 minutes. Then 1400 2 foot putts until i hole 1 :-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 1:11 PM

SweetiePie:
    hmm...Soccer or a desire to be the next Bradman ?

Ahem, point of order first if I may:)

It's called FOOTBALL ......One may also term it footy..:)

It's OK I am forever correcting Australians on the matter too.  I do notice here though finally the sports channels are referring to it correctly as Football:)

Seriously though, and just for you so please don't tell anyone I condoned it, soccer in winter and cricket in summer.  Sir Don was certainly on my list of boyhood heroes that's for sure.

Anyway to the religion that is referred to as FOOTBALL, LOL.

Film GOAL

I am not going to study the video but Nick said that many balls were hit is all I took.  OK throw in some poetic licence, but if you include putts, bunkers etc etc I can see that mark being got near meaningfully.

RSS